back to article IBM slides Voltaire's 10 GE switches into HPC clusters

Back in June, InfiniBand and now 10 Gigabit Ethernet switch maker Voltaire announced its first 10 GE switch, the Vantage 8500. Today, Voltaire begins shipping the box, and it has inked a reseller agreement with server maker IBM to help peddle it. Specifically, the reseller agreement will see Big Blue put the Vantage 8500 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hardly good specs.

"Vantage 8500 has a latency of under 1 microsecond, and it's very power efficient in that it can deliver a 10 GE port that consumes under 10 watts of juice."

If I produced something in my military and aerospace hardened (i.e. work in a tank in a Siberian winter and in a helicopter in Iraq) world that had latency as much as that, or used more than 6 watts per 10G port I would get the sack!

2. alien anthropologist
    FAIL

latency

When we talked to Voltaire about their QDR grid director switches (Infiniband), they made the comment that port to port latency can be as low as 60 to 70ns.

Now even if that is only under the best of situations/environments/configurations, and you average around 140ns.. why on sweet mother blue earth would you even want to bother with GigE - that does not provide the same scalability and does not provide the same performance?

GigE and HPC? The two terms just do not seem to be good friends at all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like