back to article Red Hat enjoys fruit of recession

Red Hat is still looking to expand beyond its traditional market of tech-savvy companies into a more mainstream world nearly a year after the open source vendor first declared its intentions to woo conservative customers away from rivals Microsoft and Oracle. According to the company's EMEA boss, Werner Knoblich, who spoke to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

"Clearly a downturn is never good generically, it’s a bad thing."

On the contrary. It's like working off the alcohol after a night on the tiles. The economy readjusts after the heady party days of easy credit, serial malinvestments and bubble blowing. People look for good investment schemes, unsustainable businesses get folded and prices readjust. Of course, like a host fearing that hung over guests will turn sour, government does everything it can to keep the blood alcohol high and the cocaine bowls filled by doing the Keynesian song & dance: print money, burn resources and keep giving out easy credit. Welcome to the Great Recession.

2. jubtastic1
    Coat

All aboard the RedHat train

"Microsoft will tell you it will slow down, we’ll tell you it will accelerate like crazy, but the truth is it’ll probably stop somewhere in the middle.”

The front carriages will tear free, the middle section will slam on the brakes leaving the rear section to pile into it?

3. Nic Brough 1
    Linux

Not sure

Not sure it's just the recession. I suspect that Microsoft turning out a steaming pile of crapware (I hear "Vista" is what they prefer to call it) has had a compounding effect.

I've certainly sat in several meetings where Vista got crossed off the list immediately as a complete waste of time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like