back to article VMware boasts a half mil vSphere downloads

Everyone is looking for bragging rights in the x64 server virtualization area now that the big three vendors - VMware, Microsoft, and Citrix Systems - have their latest releases in the field. Today, it was VMware's turn to play chanticleer. VMware says that it has processed over 500,000 downloads of its vSphere 4.0 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Svein Skogen
    FAIL

All well, but?

When will we get a VI client that runs natively in Windows 7?

//Svein

2. Goat Jam
    FAIL

This is a title

Interesting. Thought I might take a look at ESXi, went to the vmware site, logged in with my existing account and the website fails with a "page does not exist" when you hit "Continue" during the download process.

P.S. It seems to me that ESXi is not "the freebie version" of ESX, but rather the replacement for.

From the ESXi faq

What is the difference between VMware ESX and VMware ESXi?

VMware ESX and VMware ESXi are both bare-metal hypervisors that install directly on the server hardware. Both provide industry-leading performance and scalability; the difference resides in the architecture and the operational management of VMware ESXi. Although neither hypervisor relies on an OS for resource management, VMware ESX relies on a Linux operating system, called the service console, to perform two management functions: executing scripts and installing third party agents for hardware monitoring, backup or systems management. The service console has been removed from ESXi, drastically reducing the hypervisor footprint and completing the ongoing trend of migrating management functionality from the local command line interface to remote management tools. The smaller code base of ESXi represents a smaller “attack surface” and less code to patch, improving reliability and security. The functionally of the service console is replaced by remote command line interfaces and adherence to system management standards.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like