back to article Western Digital factories spin at top speed in Q1

Western Digital had a roaringly successful first fiscal 2010 quarter with revenues 15 per cent up year-on-year. It recorded sales of $2.2bn, compared to $2.1bn a year ago, and net income of £288m, up from last year's $211m, and beating Wall St estimates. Drive shipments totalled 44.1 million, a 12 per cent year-on-year …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

drives

Fantastic, maybe now they can work on the reliability of the things so they spend more time in the boxes than being posted back under RMA agreements!

5 dead 1TB drives already this year just on my personal machine, all of them western digitals. Meanwhile some crappy 5Gb seagate from the 80's in about its fourth chassis keeps grinding its way along in one of our oldest mailservers impervious to un ups'd dirty power, having the chassis it was in previously struck by lightning etc etc..

Maybe Im just from a era where MTBF meant something, and we could expect things to live. You cant even pay more and buy ultra reliable scsi ones anymore as theyre all made at the same low cost production lines....

2. Kevin Bailey

As I predicted a year or so ago...

Like many sysadmins I was hit by the Seagate 1TB drive issue from a year or so ago. Fair enough, these things happen.

But the complete lack of acknowledgement that there were machines out there using these drives and running something called Linux was a real disappointment. As usual we fixed the issue ourselves - but Seagate provided absolutely no help at all.

So we note them down as not Linux friendly - and then switch to WD or Fujitsu-Siemens.

It's about time that the hardware companies out there realised a simple truth.

Us techies try to keep all the IT stuff working - and Open Source software makes our lives much easier due to it being massively better than closed source - and so we are trying to encourage it - we note companies who don't 'get it' - and as we make the buying decisions we buy from OSS supporting companies - so companies who are supporting OSS will sell more stuff.

As well as buying stuff for our own companies we recommend stuff for the usual range of friends and family as we're the ones they always ask for advice.

So suddenly you've got a vast army of techies recommending against your product - and that's why the bottom line gets hit - look what we did to SCO for an example.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

MTBF used to be : Mean Time Before failure

Now it means

Megabyties Till boot failure ...

4. Neoc

I wonder...

...how much of it is due to the WDTV? It'd be interesting to see those numbers.

Oh and AC - I have 5 computers at home running 14 WD HDDs running the gamut from 320Gb to a rig with 5x1TB... some of these drives are getting long in the tooth, but not ONE of them ever gave me grief. Which is why I standardised my setup to use WD drives exclusively. You must just have bad luck.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like