back to article VMware Workstation plays lucky 7

Server virtualization juggernaut VMware got its start on the desktop a decade ago, and it still makes a sizeable chunk of change virtualizing PCs and workstations so they can run multiple operating systems. In the wake of last week's Windows 7 blitz, VMware is kicking out its Workstation 7 hypervisor for x86 and x64 machines, as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fat Bloke
    Stop

Worth the money?

Given that VirtualBox is as powerful, fast and free, why would anyone pay the $150 average price?

-FB

2. Test Man
    WTF?

Re: worth the money

Because VirtualBox isn't as powerful, as configurable or as good, that's why.

3. Stuart Castle Silver badge

VirtualBox.

Fatbloke, I suggest you try VMware before you ask why people pay for it.

Virtual Box is good for a free product. However, VMware is easier to set up, faster on the same machine, on a Mac can be integrated with Bootcamp (so, if you need the extra speed boost running Windows natively can give you, you don't need to waste extra space storing both the files for dual booting and the virtual hard drive.

VMware is also more configurable, and easier to configure.

Virtualbox is good, no doubting that. However, vmware is better, and, IMO, worth the extra cost.

4. Anonymous Hero
    WTF?

Re: worth the money

What Test Man said.

5. Britt Johnston
    Happy

we need to know !!

Have we finally reached the stage where we can quickly, securely and easily push or pull a managed business environment (standardised, boring, encrypted, ...) on top of any private laptop (multi-culti, cutting edge)?

6. Jason Bassford

Player 3 is free.

And it now lets you create and edit VMs. It lacks some of the bells and Whistles of Workstation, but the VMs you can use with it are just the same. So, comparing free to free - how does that change the comparison to Virtual Box?

7. Rob Beard
    WTF?

VMWare or VirtualBox?

I use VMWare Server on my Linux server to virtualise a couple of hosts which don't need as much processing power, which also saves having extra machines sucking power and it's a great application. As is VMWare Workstation, but now Sun VirtualBox seems to be catching up with VMWare, at least on desktop virtualisation so I'm wondering is it worth stumping up the cash for VMWare Workstation/Fusion?

Heck, as far as I know Sun VirtualBox is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS X for free.

Rob

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like