back to article Microsoft adds higher price to SQL Server's new features

Microsoft is bumping up the price of its SQL Server database for the first time in four years. The company said Tuesday that the Standard and Enterprise editions of SQL Server 2008 R2, coming next year, will see increases in the price you pay per processor. SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition will be available at a price per …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Geoff Mackenzie

Postgres

That is all.

2. Daemon ZOGG
    Pint

Ditto on Postgresql..

Good suggestion Geoff. I was going to mention the same thing. Tons of available features and add-ons. Supports a large part of the SQL standard. Best of all.. It's FREEEE!

:)

3. Paul Uszak

Postgres#...

You're joking, right? Are you really comparing Oracle Enterprise Edition with a MySQL knock-off? Name three international banks running Postgres...

4. Peter 39
    FAIL

yeah -- right

A couple of months free service is *always* a good way to win market share along with a price rise.

Yeah. Right.

Greasepaint and noses are there on your right.

5. wsm
    Thumb Down

Market share?

How does a greater cost for the phantom benefits equal greater market share? Microsoft employees must talk to each other, and only each other, before convincing themselves to raise prices.

This is doing less with what costs more.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Blimey!

$57,500....

....and STILL a third cheaper than Oracle!

Some people have far more money than sense.

7. Ryan Barrett

Oracle gives you more for your money..

..which is probably why it's more expensive.

Oracle's still miles ahead of SQL server, but it is in my experience far more complex. Still, for a lot of users SQL Server does everything they'd ever need to do, and does it with less effort.

For the record I work at the moment almost excusively with SQL server, but I'm man enough to see (and admit) its weaknesses.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

BS

What a lot of bullshit.

MS SQL Server is one of the best engineered, most secure software products ever developed.

By anyone.

Fact.

9. Simon B
    WTF?

HOW much?!

No increase in 4 years so we'll proper whack it up. Any other company would probably have small increases over the last 4 years which still amount to way less of an increase than that.

10. Michael Schmidt
    Linux

Options

Yet another reason to seriously consider PostgreSQL.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like