back to article Texas snatches voter system from $863m IBM contract

Texas has pulled its voter registration system from a $863m data center consolidation project being overseen by IBM, saying it distrusts the giant's ability to recover lost data. IBM is merging separate data centers from 27 Texas state agencies into two facilities under a seven-year outsourcing contract, to cut costs and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Another great IBM outsourcing success story

This is only going to happen more and more. Beancounters running the company are good for short term profits and great bonuses to higher execs. But they are slowly but surely destroying what was once a great company to work for and to work with, even if a bit pricey.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

"the agency wouldn't be able to verify new voters in Texas"

Vital if they want to get back any (or all) of the registered voters who were dumped for having the same address as (supposed) ex-crims.

I thought EDS were the shoe-in for this

And I though Texas cowboys were a dying breed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now if I was a cynic....

I might think that the real problem was that IBM were now doing things properly and the whole voter registration system and back ups were now working at 100%, meaning that come the next election registration records couldn't just disappear.

Fortunately I'm not a cynic.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

Ever since IBM dumped OS/2 they have been going down hill because they have nothing to replace it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 10:56

Possibly the more likely - IBM were doing exactly what they were paid for, the lowest cost option and it came back and bit Texas in the ass.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like