back to article Hackers free Snow Leopard from Jobsian cage

Snow Leopard users are once again free to run the Apple operating system on hardware with Atom processors, courtesy of hackers in Russia. A custom version of OS 10.6.2 distributed here works around changes introduced earlier this month that prevented the latest OS X version from running on the Intel netbook processor. A …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and in english (courtesy google)

http://translate.google.ru/translate?prev=hp&hl=ru&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fteateam.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F11%2Fmac-os-x-1062.html&sl=ru&tl=en&history_state0=

2. Mectron
    Grenade

so we need russian hacker ...

to curb Apple's ILLEGAL practices?

3. David 146

What about the long-term future?

I wonder if Apple's purchase of those chip design firms earlier is a premonition of Apple transitioning away from Intel's x64 platform in a few years onto hardware they have more control over, and so not have to worry about the likes of Psystar and these Hackintoshes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Trojan in 3...2...1...

(that is all)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patch works good

For those interested the patch has already been included in both Netbookinstaller and the Lenovo s10 enabler v 1.1.9 - all it does is alter what CPU the atom is identified as, its actually a neat trick if you like playing around with stuff like that.

6. Dale Richards
    FAIL

This looks legit...

Why wouldn't you want to install a kernel patch from an anonymous Russian hacker? Seems perfectly cromulent to me...

7. tomjol

@David 146

I doubt it. It's more likely that those acquistions will be used for producing chips for mobile devices (read: iPhone etc) - Apple's success since going x86 has been enormous.

8. Steen Hive
    Headmaster

@ Dale Richards

Because the patched kernel would have been diffed and disassembled to hell by people who know what they are doing before you had even finished typing your illuminating contribution. It's just a stop-gap until the xnu source is available anyway.

9. John Sanders
    Happy

Gotta love russian hackers...

What will the world do without those russian hackers... God bless them.

10. Ejl
    WTF?

"update must be installed using the terminal utility"

What a boring thing to say... as if the main thrust of an article about, say the latest firefox release was that it "must be installed via a series of mouse clicks".

11. Rob Beard
    Thumb Up

Re: This looks legit...

I agree, I believe the hackintoshes would embiggen Apple's market share somewhat.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Hackers

If they were good they wouldn't be hackers. They would be able to do original work.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Replace your kernel with a hacked Russian one?

Now what could possibly go wrong there?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

How safe is that?

Great, lets entrust a unknown russian hacker dabbling with the very heart of an Operating System.

I suppose the only saving grace, should an aggressive botnet rear it's ugly head, is the tiny amount of people running a Hackintosh.

There's only two ways to get this right:

1. Roll your own, spending countless hours pouring over various forums and documentation, eventually ending up with a system that almost works and could be rendered unusable by a software update at any point ... OR

2. Buy a Mac

If you don't like Apple strong arm tactics in protecting their IP and customer experience, don't use their products - simple as that. It's a consumer choice.

Bitching about Apple removing support for a processor they don't use in their hardware is pointless.

Rather bitch about poor after sales service and the typical "no comment" responses to hardware issues.

I'll admit that mucking about building a Hackintosh convinced me buy a Mac. I now use Windows, Linux and MacOs X on a daily basis. I do have my concerns over hardware issues and Mac - it's not a computer that you can easily fix yourself. After years of building PC's from component level, I will be highly pissed when my MacBook develops a flaw that requires a service!

15. Christian Berger

If Apple was doing reliable hardware

If Apple was building reliable hardware like they did back in the days before they outsourced that to China, they wouldn't have any problems with such things. People would buy Apple products because they look nice.

16. Nexox Enigma

@AC 22:58

"""If they were good they wouldn't be hackers. They would be able to do original work."""

You, sir or madam, should have your Internet license revoked. Also you might need some remedial English training, since a novel modification is usually considered to be 'original.'

Possibly refer here for other definitions with which you seem to struggle:

http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html

17. Andrew Newstead

Buy a Mac?

The comments saying buy a Mac instead of applying this hack are missing a point, this is for a netbook type computer - a product Apple have said they are not interested in (despite any rumours of new kit). It is understandable therefore that there is a lot of interest in this particular hack. If we were talking about hackintosh on a desktop or laptop machine I would agree that buying a Mac (new or second hand) would be the least difficult way to go.

Andrew Newstead

Mac and Windows user - have to be, I teach both!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

@Steen Hive

"Why wouldn't you want to install a kernel patch from an anonymous Russian hacker?" - (Dale Richards)

"Because the patched kernel would have been diffed and disassembled to hell by people who know what they are doing before you had even finished typing your illuminating contribution." (Steen Hive)

Awww, bless. What are you hoping for from Santa this year Steen? And did you put your tooth under the pillow for the fairies to collect?

19. djhworld
    Megaphone

It's a question of cost

People probably do use a so called "hackintosh" because they don't want to pay Apple an extortionate amount of money for a set of hardware that's worth a lot less than what Apple are charging for it

It's like designer clothing, you're paying for the name not the product.

20. Marvin the Martian
    Troll

@Mectron

"Illegal" in the sense of "I don't like it as they don't give me for free what I want"? Not the obsolete sense of "breaking or circumventing the current laws of a territory"?

Eejit.

21. Richard 102

Just a thought

But when the solution involves the phrase "Russian hacker", maybe you need to rethink just what the problem is.

I'm just sayin' ...

22. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

@Ejl

Oh! The dreaded terminal! I'm glad he warned me.

This topic is closed for new posts.