back to article rPath heaves Javelin at Red Hat

rPath is a little bit closer to its Proect Javelin dreams. Founded by a bunch of ex-Red Hatters that created a homegrown Linux operating system and a version control system for appliances based on that Linux, rPath has been expanding out to other Linuxes and trying to position itself as a kind of version control system for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Wow! Well, nearly

It was looking good until the price was mentioned. $75K? wtf.

Then I got my reality hat (Red naturally) on and looked at other tools in this area and realised that they are also hellishly expensive. But come on, how about something smaller for the SME's of this world who don't had huge numbers of people to look after all this 'stuff/shit/crap' that is used in business IT Servers.

Then they say they have modifed the RPM structure? Sigh. I wonder if they will be compatible with the new RPM format used in Fedora 12 and likely to come to RHEL 6? Back to the drawing board chaps...

Mines the one with a pocketfull of custom Repository management scripts in the pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tee Hee

it is not that hard, making mountains out of mole hills, me thinks.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

tools in hand even

$75k/year/200 servers?

*cough*

spend some time thinking about it and go download cfengine.

Mines the one with the FLOSS in the pocket thanks......

4. Keith Wingate

ant++

This sort of reminds me of those folks who use ant (maven, ....) to RUN their java apps as well as for building, testing, deploying them.

I do see how it could be useful, but I don't see how it could possibly be worth the inconvenience, and the performance tax, not to mention the $75K / year. A thousand, here, a thousand there, and pretty soon we're talking about real money!

This topic is closed for new posts.