back to article IBM builds Pacific ring of cloud

IBM started out as a company that only rented computing and tabulating equipment until it was compelled by an antitrust settlement to actually sell its gear. It may someday end up as one that mostly sells cloud computing capacity. Big Blue is as enthusiastic as it is worried about cloud computing. That means a flurry of press …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Cloud as a Virtual Secret Audit Facility

"Cloud computing is a little different to hosting, to be sure,... " .... For some, is cloud computing remote virtual control lead mentoring of systems, which you might like to consider is a smarter helping hand if you're good and/or an invisible destructive spanner in the works if you are not so good.

And IBM would in such a case have every bad reason to be worried about cloud computing.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

rewind

> LotusLive iNotes

Impressive, Lotus Notes lives!

Next you'll be telling me they are renting access to a virtual spreadsheet program called i1-2-3!

No doubt they also have an iWordStar an iNorton Commander as well. My god, my whole life is flashing before me....

3. russian-dude

The real IBM deal

The article sounds great - but it's a load of spin...

The cost of IBM's "$80 million datacentre" includes; construction of the building, fitting it out and its running costs for the next ten years. If one assumes that the 10-year "running costs" includes rates, insurance, maintenance, power and labour, the datacentre itself is unlikely to be worth more than perhaps $25-30M (NZ dollars BTW). Small change for a datacntre these days.

See the following link for the local news article "IBM to build $80m data centre two months after systems mayhem" -

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/compute/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501832&objectid=10614499

This article goes on to say "In my 30-year working career, I am struggling to recall a time where I have seen a supplier so slow to react to a catastrophic system failure such as this and so unwilling to accept responsibility and apologise to its client and its client's customers." Still spinning? Despite the gloss put out on this story, it's really just IBM finally realising it's time to show some respect to its customer base by stumping up with a minimal amount of cash to update it's ancient and overloaded facilities.

4. Pete 8

Much Faster

Crashes for the airline booking systems perhaps?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like