back to article Adobe: critical Acrobat flaw fix 4 weeks away

Users of Adobe's Acrobat and Reader programs have a full four weeks to fret over a critical flaw that's being exploited in the wild to install malware on vulnerable machines. Adobe said on Wednesday it would issue an update that plugs the hole on January 12, the same day Microsoft is slated to release its next installment of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

Ah good old Adobe

badly producing tools for the crawler lane of the information highway.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

In other words...

....F88k of is Christmas don't you know! Dave (aka the security team) is on holiday until the 5th, so he'll look at it then.

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Foxit and false confidence

What better target than the user who thinks that their computer is immune? For instance because they use Foxit?

Well... perhaps the user who doesn't know that security attacks even exist is a yet better target. Except that they've sent all their money already to the King of Nigeria.

4. Leo Davidson
    FAIL

3 months and counting to change one registry value

Adobe are a useless bunch.

For three months and counting they have ignored the fix I gave them which makes their PDF preview handler work on 64-bit systems. All the fix takes is a couple of registry value changes which are completely documented by Microsoft, yet Adobe have just sat on their arses.

That's also not counting the two years (or more) they completely ignored the issue and the people complaining about it. I decided to look into it myself and it only took me a few hours to find & solve.

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/

They're an absolute bunch of muppets, it seems, so I'm not surprised it takes them a month to fix a security issue that's in the wild.

5. Pink Duck
    WTF?

Paranoia?

You don't have to be paranoid to use Foxit Reader. Just being fed up of the pathetically slow start-up speed of Adobe Reader is enough. Foxit patches problems quicker to boot!

6. Leo Davidson

Adobe Reader's much faster these days, FWIW.

Not that I like Adobe or Adobe Reader (see my comment above), but people who use FoxIt just because it loads faster might want to try a more recent version of Adobe Reader as it loads pretty fast these days.

Adobe also do a better job of rendering fonts, especially at small sizes:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/pdf_comparison/

PDF-XChange seems like another good PDF viewer:

http://www.docu-track.com/

I've yet to understand the buzz around FoxIt as it's main feature seems to be that it's not written by Adobe, but it's not actually a better viewer from what I can tell. (It was back when Adobe Reader took an age to load, though.)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do I uncheck "Enable Javascript" on hundreds of desktops?

Anyone?

1. K. Adams
      IT Angle

Re: How do I uncheck "Enable Javascript" on hundreds of desktops?

For Windows, run a BAT or CMD script on (user) login:

@echo off

reg add "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\9.0\JSPrefs" /v bEnableJS /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

This topic is closed for new posts.