back to article IBM's 'Project Vulcan' sneak peeks Lotus Notes future

IBM is giving its researchers a new pipeline to show off early versions of net-based Lotus collaboration tools. As part of its annual Lotusphere conference on Monday, the company also provided a peek at what it sees as the future of the business collaboration suite, a thing called "Project Vulcan." Taking a page from Google …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Need a push email first

Lotus Notes has to first come to the realtime area. I get my emails on Blackberry earlier than my desktop Notes Client. Vulcan or no Vulcan - the Notes design team have to first learn how email works - They can keep the databases wherever they like, but I don't want to know about it!

1. Dave Harris
      Go

Hmmm

AC, I suggest you or your administrators learn how Notes/Domino works first. It sounds like you may be using a local replica for your mail, rather than the server-based replica, in which case you may only be polling for new mail (up to) every fifteen minutes. Don't worry, it's a setting you can change easily.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Need a push...?

@AC

Then your desktop client is set up badly. The BES servers poll your Notes mailbox , then push it to your device - if they are managing to do it faster than your desktop, that's not Notes' fault!

3. Kevin Johnston

mail delivery times

Ummm...perhaps you could change the refresh interval for your client? You only get delivery to your Blackberry after it has reached your mail server so it is in your mailfile first, just not visible until you (or your client) refreshes.

2. James Anderson
    Happy

Another World Record for NOTES

They can now add "longest time spent re-inventing the shared drive " to their coveted "Most hated software of the 20th century" and "Most hated software of the 21st Century" awards.

3. xantastic
    Linux

I've used it, and ...

I don't mean to spoil the fun, but it's a wiki. Maybe IBM thinks that large corporations can be sold "secure" wiki's for an outrageous subscription service or licensing fee, but it's still just a wiki that runs 10 times slower than every other wiki.

Maybe IBM could just buy 37signals. Tux b/c Python doesn't have a mascot (that I know of).

1. Keith Wingate
      Joke

Python mascot...

...is .... whitespace.

4. sabotages

Errr... seem you have to come to the realtime era first

I by "push" email you mean the current concept of "push" Lotus Notes already has push email for the iPhone, S60 and Windows Mobile it's called Lotus Traveler, ask your admin why is it that you're not using it. And the reason why you are getting the email first is because sitting in front of the servers there's a Blackberry gateway redirecting the email so I would get to your device, BTW with Traveler you can ditch the gateway and use an iPhone, a Nokia E71 or N97 instead.

As for push, Notes was born doing push, server to server and server to client...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, now I understand

why they had William Shatner appear at LotusSphere

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Notes flame war, Yay!

Notes comments are as vitriolic as Apple / MS discussions, and you always have the user who posts their own personal gripe about notes, the IT guy who tells them their company has it set up wrong, the other folks who use outlook and think this is all pointless.

But, one thing is true, I have been using Notes as a corporate email client for the last 12 months on a contract and i am pleased, so so pleased not to have to fire that up anymore.

Whatever the reason, alot of people have a poor experience using Notes and even recent versions with their slight UI makeover still remind you of the 80s somehow, perhaps in their assumptions about functionality.

Notes sucks and all the "they haven't set it up right" in the world is not going to make me hate it less. Perception is everything.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like