back to article Server and desktop virtualisation projects are shoddy

The vast majority of server and desktop virtualisation projects fail to meet their objectives, according to research which implies vendors are misrepresenting the benefits of desktop virtualisation. The research, by Computacenter, looked at 130 UK IT decision makers and found "only six per cent fully achieving ROI (return on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam Salisbury
    Stop

Bad Survey

Well I'd say they need a bigger sample size, 12 months into our virtulaisation project and we've converted enough physical boxes into VMs that we haven't needed to buy any more iron for nearly a year, we're saving on power and cooling costs and have made available a clutch of albeit fairly low-spec (by today's standard at least) servers we can redeploy.

I will admit the goalposts are shifting somewhat, where our inital intentions have been to consolidate many small servers onto one big hypervisor, we've now got physical boxes doing nothing so the next step is to work out whether or not to continue on this path of freeing up little servers whose physical counterparts may have limited use as they grow older.

With a potential office move being discussed it'll be interesting to see who wants to go in which direction though!

2. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

Cheaping out on virtualisation?

You bet!

Of course companies are trying to do virtualisation "on the cheap." They are companies. They try to do EVERYTHING on the cheap. Lower your costs, raise your margins, increase shareholder value.

Are we extracting the most value from virtualisation? No way! Modern hypervisors (and their associated tools) can to way more than is possible with “the bare basics.” As the inestimable Adam Salisbury points out above, virtualisation provides real benefits in terms of savings on things like cooling and electrical savings, however if you try to take too “cheap” an approach, virtualisation can very easily become such a management and maintenance burden as to completely wipe out any savings you may have accrued in other areas.

Or, to TL;DR my post: you get what you pay for!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like