back to article Emergency IE patch goes live as exploits proliferate

Microsoft released an emergency security update for all versions of Internet Explorer on Thursday as attacks exploiting a critical vulnerability in the widely used browser spread to hundreds of websites. The patch fixing the IE vulnerability used to penetrate the defenses of Google and other large companies came as anti-virus …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. h 6
    Go

I got

"To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later. "

oh well. Knew my iPhone was safe :P

2. tony trolle
    Happy

iphone not safe

should read The Reg a bit more carefully sonny.......

3. Cookie Monster
    Pirate

I wonder when the govt's websites start crashing and we get leaks galore

Now what browser does the civil service use?

The British govt's IT security is wide open.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Alert

Something has to be..

..along with their mouth, their arse but not their eyes or ears.

4. Tom 7

Whats the problem?

I know IE is a piece of utter garbage but many companies have internal apps that need it.

Just make sure the proxy on IE is set to a proxy that wont let it out into the real world.

And if the management need facebook get them a proper non IE browser and point it at a different proxy.

5. Duncan Hothersall
    Flame

Restart

Why the fucking fuck does an update to a browser require a system restart? One single update to an application, and the whole system needs to be rebooted! Please tell me that in Windows 7 this is achieved without a reboot.

1. Annihilator
      Flame

Worse

Not only does Windows 7 require a reboot, but it kindly does it on your behalf. Mine helpfully rebooted shortly after 3am this morning - still trying to unpick how far through a batch of video encodes it got.

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a bootable linux USB plugged in at the time. So wasn't even Windows that restarted but Ubuntu. Maybe I should leave it that way...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

You do know

You can change how updates are applied to your windows installation dont you, I mean this stuff has only been around for a few years now.

You can tell Windows to do everything automatically (the default so all the plebs dont miss out) or you can tell it to do it when you tell it to do it or never or a mixture of all 3 if you like.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Understanding-Windows-automatic-updating

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Change-how-Windows-installs-or-notifies-you-about-updates

1. Duncan Hothersall
          Go

You do know

that on a semi-regular basis the updates that Automatic Updates applies will reset the settings of the system resulting in the "default" automatic download, install and reboot setting magically reappearing? I mean, this has only been happening for a few years now.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Duncan

I've been using Windows update since it came out and I have never seen my settings changed (they aren't on default) I have also never heard of anyone else who has had their settings change. Are you sure about your statement?

1. Duncan Hothersall

Yes, I'm sure

We've had it happen on our machines, when it was set to download only but went ahead and rebooted.

See also here, especially the comments:

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/02/08/vuln_aacfhddccc_de/

And here, noting the acknowledgement by Microsoft of reports from their users:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2007/10/bug-in-automatic-updates-forces-install-reboot-for-windows-users.ars

So yes, I'm sure thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Fair enough...

Fair enough, I just tend to be a bit suspicious about claims where I've never seen or heard of the problem. I stand corrected.

6. N2

So last year

Last night i went to the security section & clicked the "For IT professionals" link to be greeted by a bulletin dated November 2009.

Nice that MS are up with the hunt on this one.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Security

I just hacked into someone elses computer using the IE vuln and was able to post this comment...

8. Annihilator
    FAIL

Random reboot

That'll be why Windows had rebooted this morning. "Windows restarted after successfully applying a patch"

Windows 7 - I thought we were done with this sh1t Microsoft!

9. Tom 7

@So last year

I bet that dates generated automatically too!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

IE8 on Windows 7 FTW

I am running IE8 on Windows 7 in Protected Mode. So I never had any worries of getting infected. But it's good to see MS releasing a patch so quickly.

1. Tom Chiverton 1
      Gates Horns

"so quickly"

Quickly ?!? They *sat on it doing nothing* for *3* months, and would have carried on doing *nothing* if no one had caught them out. Compare to what goes on in the FOSS world, for instance, where things are fixed in days.

11. MJI Silver badge
    FAIL

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

Normally using Firefox but need IE6 due to emailing & faxing software.

Also it wants to update my updater (no way am I installing WGA spyware) - I just want to download the IE6 fixes. Searched around - nothing.

What a useless bunch.

1. Test Man
      WTF?

Re:MJI

Yes, YOU are a useless "bunch", MJI. "no way am I installing WGA spyware" *snore* is that because you're running a dodgy copy of Windows? No? So why are you so bothered by it? You can put your tin foil hat down now, get into the real world, stop being stupid and download whatever updates Windows Update needs.

Idiot.

1. MJI Silver badge

NOT dodgy

Too many false positives - some of the other computers in our office run it and the users have had to contact MS to be able to use their OWN PC.

I would rather not have the bother.

It is to do a job, not keep calling MS.

My PC so I'll use it for what I want to do - WRITING CODE!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like