back to article Oracle in MySQL, OpenOffice autonomy vow

The employees of MySQL are a truly blessed people. As with Sun Microsystems before it, Oracle has vowed to leave its sales and development team independent and intact. Edward Screven, Oracle's chief corporate architect, said Wednesday that Sun's MySQL independent sales force and development teams will be retained inside the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. E 2
    FAIL

Imperitives

I cannot understand how anyone cannot see Oracle owning mySQL as anything other than an attempt to control the market. Microsoft would have bought Sun, but it would have been too obvious an attempt to acquire mySQL.

PostgreSQL has better enterprise features than MySQL. This is fine, I am not complaining. Do you really believe that Oracle will let MySQL acquire features that will in any way compete with Oracle DBMS? Since the corps got their hands on mySQL it has hardly advanced at all.

Two things may happen:

1. MySQL remains a slightly stupid little brother of the for-pay Oracle DBMS, and when serious open source based websites need real enterprise DBMS features they cave in, suck the erect penis, and pay for Oracle or MS DBMS products.

2. People on the 'net get over the 'My', 'My', 'My' thing and give up on mySQL and move their support to the mySQL spin offs or to PostgreSQL. I swear that if someone had put forward 'my_MSDOS_batch_file_web_server_script_language' at around the time PHP and Python stated to get mindshare, then we'd be hearing little indeed about PHP and Python today.

For those of you still working with mySQL 3.x and 4.x: joins are supposed to be done by the DBMS not by the scripting language. This is why you want mySQL to advance.

2. CD001

maybe, maybe not

> I cannot understand how anyone cannot see Oracle owning mySQL as anything other than an attempt to control the market.

I'm not sure Oracle are that naive - it would be hard to "control" the market with MS's SQL Server, Postgres, MariaDB and lord knows how many other DB servers out there - but yes, I can see an "up-sell" opportunity for them there as well as providing a commercial support package. Since Oracle have been involved with MySQL for a long time now (InnoDB) and have arguably improved the product it's a sensible acquisition, maybe even a land-grab but an attempt to control the market might be a little unrealistic at this stage.

Besides, with the plethora of MVC frameworks available to PHP now (as PHP websites/apps are probably the things that most commonly utilise MySQL) switching DB is a fairly simple matter... as long as you're already using a framework of course.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like