back to article Intel and Micron get flash process lead

Intel and Micron have jumped to a 25nm NAND flash process, shrinking cell size and raising wafer yields. They'll use their lead to raise profit margins instead of lowering prices. The two companies manufacture flash chips through a joint-venture, Intel Micron Flash Technologies, 49 per cent owned by Intel and 51 per cent by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Cartel.

"They'll use their lead to raise profit margins instead of lowering prices."

Ok then. I will use my money to line my own pockets.

Swings and roundabouts. Boost margin at the expense of unit sales. Same profit, more people annoyed with you and cheering on the competition. Less jobs....

Cynical.

Take market share by cutting prices, get consumers on your side, sell more product, create jobs...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem...

In this business, the problem is increasingly that intel has no competition, be it in CPUs or SSDs.

Why should intel bother to lower prices? Instead, chipzilla continues on its merry way making ridiculously high profits, while reducing costs!

3. Munchausen's proxy
    Pint

How much is that in nanoWales?

"An 8GB flash die is small enough, at 167 square millimetres to pass through the central hole of a CD."

Is the CD-hole (CDh) a new candidate for inclusion in the Reg Standard Measurement System?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like