back to article Sun Oracle revs LDom VMs for Sparc Ts

Former server and systems software maker Sun Microsystems, now part of the Oracle collective, quietly announced a new release of the Logical Domain virtual machine hypervisor for the Sparc T line of processors several days ahead of the closing of the $7.4bn deal. As El Reg already explained in its in-depth coverage of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Allison Park
    Paris Hilton

Wow LDoms finally have some dynamic capability

Sun technology is still focused on partitioning vs. real virtualization.

Will LDoms ever work on the the Fujitsu SPARC64 kit, or is it just for the four socket and below boxes?

I got confused with this being referred to in conjunction with Oracle VM for x86. Any correlation other than the naming?

2. David Halko
    IT Angle

@Allison Park - technology focus

Allison Park posts, "Sun technology is still focused on partitioning vs. real virtualization."

No, Sun technology is focused is not as pigeonholed as alternative vendor offerings, but rather offers a complete spectrum of services (i.e. partitioning and virtualization are addressed, not only one or the other.)

Allison Park posts, "Will LDoms ever work on the the Fujitsu SPARC64 kit"

I am not sure anyone really cares. There are three non-competing and non-overlapping technologies with roughly the same capability which occupy roughly the same space but under different CPU architectures:

- Dynamic System Domains are available under UltraSPARC and SPARC64

- LDoms is available under OpenSPARC/CoolThreads

- xVM Hypervisor is available under Intel/AMD x64

Allison Park posts, "I got confused with this being referred to in conjunction with..."

I am no fan of branding changes. This has been one of the major faults of Sun Microsystems, which led to their demise. Great technology, terrible marketing. Branding should be seamless.

Allison Park posts, "Any correlation other than the naming?"

Clearly, Oracle is expanding the focus of their virtualization brand to consolidate the enhanced capabilities which was consumed through the Sun acquisition. I hope, for Oracle's sake, that this is the last branding change that will be done.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like