back to article Phoenix recovers barbecued data in Europe

European data centres can recover data from data centres blown to smithereens by using Axxana's near-bomb proof Phoenix data recovery system MTI is now marketing Axxana's Phoenix RP hardened enterprise data recorder in Europe, but not the middle East and Africa. The story is that, even if a passenger jet flies into a data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Doe 1

One wonders...

...what aircraft they used to test their claims of resiliency?

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

It's not the aircraft that matters...

...it's the fuel.

Show me that a product can withstand the hellish inferno of a crashed plane, and I will be impressed. Protection from mere impact is something we have been able to do for a while now. For all intents and purposes you take your backup device and wrap it in a Toyota. Crumple zones, rigid "cabin" etc. etc. etc.

Preventing that same item from melting/overheating/etc...that's a whole other ball game.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a marketing claim.

It'll be a remote control model if they can get away with it, an ultralight if they claim it's a manned aircraft of a Cessna if they claim it's a passenger aircraft.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

I can see a problem.

"...adds that in as it is sent by the Phoenix box's mobile phone link....."

Which'll work really well after the local authorities have locked the cell system into "emergency services only" mode while they deal with the disaster in question.

Even if that doesn't happen, the fact that everyone within a 20 mile radius will be trying to phone world + dog should make getting a data connection rather fun.

3. Peter Mc Aulay

No MEA?

Is that because they're afraid of Real World testing, or because cell coverage there is somewhat spotty? Inquiring minds want to know.

4. wsm

More reliable than...

the Google cloud, or say, your average super-collider?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like