back to article Microsoft aims thin clients at the classroom

With today's talk of application and desktop virtualization, it's easy to forget there's another, older way to deliver software in a controlled way to resource-constrained PCs: thin-clients. You remember thin client computing: Citirx, Microsoft's Citrix-backed Windows Terminal Services, Sun Microsystems' Sun Ray, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Filed away?

"Tarantella, which was bought and filed away by Sun."

Maybe you should ask the Sun customers who are running the Tarantella server in their enterprises.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

10 computers?

Restricted to 10 computers? No pretty screen effects or Windows Media Center.?

Sounds like a very poor imitation of Linux Server Terminal Project (LSTP 5.2).

1. Joseph Haig

Restricted to x computers

If they are targeting the classroom where there is a maximum class size of 10 pupils then they are living on another planet. They should try "restricted to 50 computers" and it might be suitable for one per classroom with a bit of slack.

What is the restriction on LTSP? Oh yes, it is only restricted by the capability of the hardware.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Re: Tarantella

"...Tarantella, which was bought and filed away by Sun."

Not filed away, just renamed to Sun Secure Global Desktop.

No worries... I know it's hard to do research.

4. The BigYin

Thin clients?

Rockin' out like it's 1970, yeah?

They'd bloody well nt have tried to patent it....

5. John White
    Linux

Linux terminal Server Project anyone???

LTSP has been around for years and has just as long a track record in classroom thin clients. No limit on connections (apart from your hardware); volumes of documentation and real life examples. It's free as well - no licensing costs - still have to have sysadmins though(as will the MS Terminal Services) but many teachers seem to be able to install & manage it.

Even I run it at home (excellant indestuctible internet access for my 'youf' who insists on running XP Home c/w malware and virii) as part of my 'distributed desktop/diskless client' round the house (yes, it's in the basement with the file/media server)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

"Mouse Mischief is a tool that Microsoft makes available free of charge, and that allows teachers to work with Microsoft Office PowerPoint to make interactive presentations."

See the drug dealer is at it again. The first hit is always free. Once they eliminate Blackboard and any open source offerings they will shove the price up. Of course Blackboard and the open source offerings are more powerful but they don't have the educational system by the balls, so this Microsoft crap is bound to get a foothold - much like foot & mouth did.

Why do I always think of Microsoft in the same way I think of vermin? Maybe its because it doesn't matter what happens, Microsoft appear scurrying along like rats trying to get a piece of the pie and take over.

7. Christian Berger

Been to a school with one of those

They had Windows 98 clients acting as terminals to a Windows 2000 server. When I left, they had Linux clients as terminals to that same Windows 2000 server. :)

8. HollyX
    Badgers

Hmmm

This might be kinda useful, if they were to lift the 10 client limit.

LSTP is good if you have a knowledgeable sysadmin to take care of it (and be a Linux cheerleader, train staff, not be put off by people decrying it, etc). Knowledgeable sysadmins are hard to come by - especially around LEAs with entrenched MS-itis ... there are schools who still buy PCs from RM *shudder*

As for Mighty Mouse, all the teachers I work with are more than happy with Smartboard's Notebook software and don't want to learn another new program. For many, changing the order of icons on the desktop is confusing ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like