back to article HP slips Intel's desktop Cores into biz laptops

With plenty of laptops in the business world ranging in age from five to eight years old, Hewlett-Packard is rubbing its hands together. It anticipates a big upgrade cycle in 2010 among commercial PC users whose companies might just be ready to give them a reasonable machine on which to do work, despite the weak economy. While …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bhtooefr
    FAIL

Standard voltage doesn't mean desktop.

The standard voltage parts are what you find in mainstream laptops - think 13.3"+ stuff, not gaming laptops.

In other words, these are still Arrandale, not Lynnfield or Clarkdale. (Nor are they Clarksfield, the quad-core mobile part based on Lynnfield.)

Even gaming laptops, nowadays I'd expect Clarksfield over Lynnfield or Clarkdale, except for the most insane stuff - AFAIK, the only laptop with a desktop i7 chip is the Clevo D900F, with a Bloomfield. Even Clevo's 18.4" stuff that and the Alienware M17x use mobile CPUs. (So, you get to choose between a 2.0 GHz quad-core and SLI, or a 3.33 GHz quad-core and no SLI. And, the 3.33 box could possibly go for Gulftown when it comes out, giving it six cores.)

2. foxyshadis

Terrible screen resolution

Now that Vista has long since come and gone, high resolution with large fonts and large icons should be a priority for every manufacturer; the clarity and benefits against eye fatigue are incredible. There are 1920x1080 panels for 15.6" screens, so on earth do they keep pushing 1280x800 for that and 1600x900 as the standard on 17"?

Also, weird bit of editing between now and when I first read the article, it seems like a paragraph may have been chopped out accidentally.

3. ben_myers
    WTF?

Can't stand the heat!

HP has evidently not learned from its last fateful disaster with more-or-less standard and hot-running Pentium 4 CPUs inside their laptops. Of course, HP had plenty of company with Toshiba and Dell also doing "desktop replacements" in a 2003-2004 timeframe. Dell got hurt the worst, with a class action lawsuit, recalls and extensions to warranties on its Inspiron 51xx series. To meet these ill-perceived market needs, Intel provided HP, Dell and Toshiba with a standard 533Mhz FSB Pentium 4HT cobbled with SpeedStep to run at 1.6GHz on battery. Numerous desktop replacements failed or developed heat issues that could not be resolved. I have a Toshiba here with standard P4, taken in from a customer who suffered with overheating and shutdowns for years. I tore it down, cleaned out just a little bit of dust and dirt, applied thermal paste, and the damned thing now shuts itself down after a half hour instead of 2 minutes. Operate one of these laptops in a house with dogs and cats running around, and you end up with a clump of debris blocking the air vents and an even quicker failure. This whole desktop replacement phenomenon was exacerbated by people being somewhat ignorant in not keeping the air vents clear of dust, dirt, cat hair, and external blockages.

This topic is closed for new posts.