back to article David Atherton on football, why mags beat Google, and what he's doing next

This is part two of a two-part interview with Dabs founder David Atherton. Part one is here. David Atherton, the multimillionaire founder of Dabs.com, is heading back into the technology industry and sees electronic security and Facebook games as strong bets for his money. Last week he made his first industry appearance since …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Facebook - missing the point?

Sounds a bit like he's missing the point of Facebook "Applications". I'd have thought it was less about getting the end users to cough up cash themselves and more about selling the users' intimate details to targeted advertisers...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

british industry at it's best

"When we failed it was invariably the carriers fault, or the suppliers fault." ie our suppliers and carriers were crap. But we didn't care because it wasn't our fault.

3. Peter Kay

Good luck, but more research might help

I'm not involved with the alarm industry at all, but to say there are no wifi products is flat out wrong. There are already different levels of wifi alarm certification, as I understand it.

I also wonder about this 'penny under Dabs' strategy. I doubt customers will switch supplier for the sake of a penny, but they may well buy all their product from one company if their headline item is much lower priced and the other items aren't much more expensive than the alternative. With just a penny under, there must be other factors than pricing.

Still, 500K to 5 million is pretty impressive, and he deserves his success.

4. Ioannis Mavroukakis
    Flame

A monkey is more honest

“I know its an honest firm and does things properly. When we failed it was invariably the carriers fault, or the suppliers fault. It was very rarely our fault.”

What utter bollocks. My Acer laptop came with a laughable 6 month battery warranty, and Dabs employees tried to convince me it was covered for an even more laughable 3 months..Honest my arse.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear..

He's wrong about the alarms, I do hope he's done his own research and not just believed what he's been told. Plenty of alarms now use a broadband connection to provide redundancy (shame it's often on the same line as the Redcare/monitoring so they lose both paths if the line is cut but hey, it's a start..)

GSM/GPRS/3G is also very common as a backup and lots of monitoring/service work is now done over the Internet via VPN enabled routers because it costs a hell of a lot less than having to have dedicated lines for every install or an engineer to visit and reconfigure/reset.

Can't think of a good reason to use bluetooth for a security product, there are less expensive wireless products out there that are much better suited to security applications (I.E. less easy to mess around with)

6. Mark 65

WIFI/3G etc

I'm guessing they wouldn't overly use it as it'd be quite easy to jam for the short period that you'd need to - we're probably not talking household systems here so the thief/thieves would likely know what they're doing.

This topic is closed for new posts.