back to article Verizon and IBM join forces for private cloud backup

Verizon and IBM are partnering to offer a private networked (cloud) backup service to enterprise customers. The duo's offering is called Managed Data Vault. Customers backup data from an active site and send it across Verizon network links to a remote IBM data centre equipped with "backup infrastructure and management …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

...they managed to get hold of OpenSSH and SCP !

2. KNO3
    Alert

Instead of a datacenter called a Vault, A Vault converted to a datacenter

And how it was done... tylervault.com/how.htm

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

FiOS to the rescue?

"There are no details provided of how you can get LAN speed across WAN data distances "

I think that's why Verizon has this initially within the New York metro area -- they have FiOS (which is fiber to the home.. err.. business....) there, they have a big juicy fiber backbone to back it up, and I'm sure IBM has a data center there. Home users can buy 100mbps service in Verizon's FiOS service areas (and reportedly actually *get* 100mbps, not some "paper" 100 where they really can't get it.) I'm pretty sure the hardware actually supports over 1gbps now.

Of course, that still makes for a 15TB backup taking like 48 hours at 1gbps.

That's the crux of it though -- Verizon's fiber network extends through a portion of the northeastern US, and that's about it. Within this area, there's ample capacity to spare (last I heard), and it's essentially "free" to Verizon since the equipment's already in and paid for. Beyond that, I would think pushing TBs of data around could rapidly become quite expensive for them, and it's hard to get a seriously fat pipe (well, fat enough for 150TB backups..) in a lot of the country. This'll be the tricky bit, where I wonder if all this "cloud" razzmatazz could really start falling apart on them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like