back to article Microsoft's HPC Server 2008 R2 goes beta 2

Microsoft is a supercomputing wannabe, and with Windows HPC Server 2008 R2, the company will be coming at the Linux-dominated HPC community from a few oblique angles that play to Microsoft's - not the Linux community's - strengths. With the second beta of HPC Server 2008 R2, Microsoft is allowing for supercomputer clusters to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 65

Excel cluster facility

I'm not sure quants will gain anything in particular from Excel workbook calculations (of any complexity) being offloaded onto these clusters as quant libraries tend to be written in C++ not embedded within Excel and over recent years the more complex of these have already been re-engineered to offload calculation onto Monte-Carlo farms. Quants and their employers are already tech savvy enough to do any offloading themselves and thus have more control over how it happens as well as being able to reuse this code when changing from Excel to C#.

This feature just seems like "My First Computation Farm For Muppets"

2. Chemist

Isn't this like BOINC ?

"clusters to tap into vast amounts of latent processing capacity in Windows 7 PCs"

Except BOINC can run on most Windows and Unix/Linux/OSX boxes

and BOINC server is best on Unix-like system.

3. Ammaross Danan
    Coat

Ah ha!

"clusters to tap into vast amounts of latent processing capacity in Windows 7 PCs"

Ah! So that's why my Win7 is slower than WinXP! M$ must be tapping into my latent cycles to crunch search requests for Bing!

/mines the one with the tin-foil hat in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like