The Channel logo

back to article Panasas adds high-capacity archive box

High-performance computing scale-out NAS supplier Panasas is launching its PAS HC product, a high-capacity archive store. Panasas supplies PAS 7, 8 and 9 systems for high-performance computing (HPC) and performance-dependent technical applications needing fast access to millions of files. It uses its PanFS filesystem to provide …

This topic is closed for new posts.

That's some serious storage space. I worry about the durability of all those hard drives and also the amount of heat/noise it will produce but anything is better than crappy tapes - surely someone could have invented a better universal backup system by now? (And before anyone says, I don't consider 'Cloud' backup a viable option and hard drives by themselves are just not durable enough for me.)

Quote:"The PAS HC price is intended to be less than a dollar per GB."

That's nearly a $million for the 960Tb version!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Frank Jennings

What do you do? Use manual typwriters or live in a Scottish croft? Our man advises
A rusty petrol pump at an abandoned gas station. Pic by Silvia B. Jakiello via shutterstock

Trevor Pott

Among other things, Active Directory needs an overhaul
Baby looks taken aback/shocked/affronted. Photo by Shutterstock

Kat Hall

Plans for 2 million FTTP connections in next four years 'not enough'
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Suit-and-tie-wearing man tries to meditate, take deep breaths in faux yoga pose. Photo by Shutterstock
Emotional intelligence, not tech skills, is the way to woo suits
League of gentlemen poster - Tubbs and Edward at the local shop. Copyright BBC
One reselling man tells his tale of woe