back to article HP brings live migration to HP-UX Unix

While HP didn't say anything about it, the company slipped out is biannual update to its HP-UX Unix variant in March, which was announced this week along with servers using the new "Tukwila" Itanium 9300 servers from Intel. Of all the features that HP announced for the sixth HP-UX 11i v3 update, the one that is most important …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused

live migration isn't new

HPVM has had live migration for a while

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Not a good deal

Tukwila is only four core and the SAP performance measure of each core is only 1,200 SAPs.

Compare this to 2,333 SAPs for Nehalem and the Power7 SAPs of 3,159

No wonder there is a 2 for 1 sale.

VMotion and Power Mobility have been around for 3+ years, and HP wonders why people think they are divesting in the technology.

Fox Chapel

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

RE: Not a good deal

Looks like we need a new icon for those IBM resellers doing astroturf.

"Tukwila is only four core...." And this matters how? If the software is priced per core as then Tukzilla offers to put the same number of cores into a smaller footprint (which means less money on racks, power, etc) than current Itanium servers. And seeing as all those current Itanium servers were bought when Power5/5+ and Power6/6+ were also available (which means old pSeries couldn't do the job compared to old Integrity) it is highly likely those same customers will buy upgrades to Tukzilla Integrity kit.

"....No wonder there is a 2 for 1 sale....." Are we talking about the cuts in P6 pricing recently announcede by IBM in an attempt to clear old stock and keep Power users interested until P7 arrived? Did IBM cut the price in AIX licensing in half or did they just double the cost per socket (quadruple it if you're running dual-core Power) for an upgrade to P7? Really hilarious that the IBMers are so desperate to FUD Tukzilla they're even rtying to say a cut in hp-ux pricing is a bad thing!! Hysteria obviously rules in the IBM camp, they really are bricking themselves over Tukzilla and Nehalem!

"....Power Mobility have been around for 3+ years...." Shouldn't that have been "around with limited funtionality and some features that didn't work on all kit and not with other IBM management or provisioning software"? Face it, hp-ux has had a far better virtualisation piece for going on ten years than IBM has even produced to date. Trying to pretend that VMotion is IBM's prosuct is just too funny! Did you miss the bit where VMware confirmed (just like Oracle, SPA, UNcel Tom Cobbley et al) that they see more new installation of their software on hp servers than any other vendor? I guess you were just too busy reading the IBM FUD guides to catch that bit of info.

/SP&L

3. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

re: Not a good deal

I love the per core arguments... HA HA HA... Nehalem still does not scale vertically well enough, and Power still relies on these per core tricks. Who cares about per core anymore? It's about the system.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"Nehalem still does not scale vertically well enough"

Compared with what?

Got any independent numbers to prove IA64 is better, or are you just Matt Bryant logged in anonymously :) ?

HP's very own AMD64 Proliant can already do 48 CPUs and half a terabyte of RAM, today. OK the Superdown can do a bit more but how many people really want all their eggs in that size of basket?

FAIL

RE: "Nehalem still does not scale vertically well enough"

I don't post anonymously.

5. Hans 1
    Boffin

iTanic?

iTanic is dying, I would not like to be working for HP's UX division. They have abandoned their hw for intel crap, which will be canned pretty soon, even Windows has left the ship, who's next?

Matt Bryan, where are you? I need a good laugh!

Stop

RE: iTanic?

"iTanic is dying...." Yes, and how many years have you fools been saying exactly that? How many past versions of Itanium did you assure us would never see the light of day? You've been wrong so many times before you'd think you would have learned by now.

"...I need a good laugh!" I suspect there is plenty of laughter in your life, only it is probably all directed at you rather than with you. You will need to get in touch with the reality of the industry before you lose that.

/SP&L

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@AC re: Not a good deal

"I love the per core arguments... HA HA HA... Nehalem still does not scale vertically well enough, and Power still relies on these per core tricks. Who cares about per core anymore? It's about the system."

If you were an IT Manager or CIO, you would like to see the per core argument.

However, it seems that you are not this high on your coporate ranks though.

Per core arguments are the base of Software costs related to TCO.

If you need 8 Oracle RAC licenses to run a solution on Nehalem but 12 licenses to run it on Itanic, it really DOES matter.

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    FAIL

RE: @AC re: Not a good deal

"....If you were an IT Manager or CIO, you would like to see the per core argument...." Actually, if you worked for a company desperate enough to make you an IT manager or CIO, you would need to pull your socks up and consider a lot more than just per core software prices. But I feel quite comfortable in predicting that your career will not rise to a level where such issues will need to be considered. In the meantime, just keep repeating the IBM FUD, it will save you from having to do any original thinking.

"....If you need 8 Oracle RAC licenses to run a solution on Nehalem but 12 licenses to run it on Itanic, it really DOES matter." Yes, and the chance of you having found such an instance are as likley as Gordon Brown winning the unanimous support of the electorate in the coming election. And if it takes twelve cores to run a RAC instance on Tukzilla then I can comfortably predict it will at least need the same on Power7, if not more.

/SP&L

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

@ Matt

Matt Bryant,

I was talking to the Anonymous who posted that cores count don't care anymore.

I did not even mention IBM POWER or IBM FUD on this.

My comparison was based on Nehalem vs. Itanic Tukwilla.

I just said that TCO is still important and Software Licensing costs still plays a big role on a solution cost.

However, it seems that you didn't read my entire post, did you? You are such a blind Itanic fanboi and you act just like the trolls you describe.

" But I feel quite comfortable in predicting that your career will not rise to a level where such issues will need to be considered. "

That was horrible to say! I am an IT Manager but I really don't know about you. So, shut your mouth when talking about me, cause you don't know me...

"And if it takes twelve cores to run a RAC instance on Tukzilla then I can comfortably predict it will at least need the same on Power7, if not more."

Again, I didn't even mention IBM POWER on this thread. It was all about Intel processors. Please, read the full post before throwing your stones at me.

MB, you should buy new glasses and get a girlfriend for a change.

Nehalem will destroy Itanic period.

Market is saying that.

Chill down and relax MB! We are getting very tired of your posts!

1. Allison Park

Matt B is sinking fast

At one point Matt B gave insightful view points but with the release of Tukwila systems he has gone off the deep end.

While everyone is disappointed with HP's limited Tukwila offerings Matt needs to eat some humble pie.

Nehalem is crushing Itanium plan and simple.

The DL980 with 8 sockets AND cross-network connectors will kill the Tukwila blades.

If the blades had SX3000 it might have a chance but you need 8 QPI links to have an 8 socket system without a glue chip.

Allison Park

FAIL

RE: Matt B is sinking fast

Ah, we have the return of Ms Kebabfart, IBM FUD guide in hand no doubt. Only problem is it will probably be the same FUD guide as she's been using for the last quarter! This should be amusing....

"At one point Matt B gave insightful view points...." I'm guessing the ones you think were "insightful" were the ones where I said Power was good.

".....but with the release of Tukwila systems he has gone off the deep end....." What you mean is that I am not singing to the IBM hymnsheet and must therefore be called a heretic! Because you just can't stand the idea that someone would not only disagree with you but also show up your pro-Power arguments for the froth they are.

"....While everyone is disappointed with HP's limited Tukwila offerings...." Another IBMer that thinks they talk for the whole World! Is this some common condition with IBMers? Do they all have a God complex or just dozens of voices talking in their heads? Allison, please stop talking so much rubbish, there is no way you can speak for "everyone" so stop pretending like you have spoken to anyone outside of an IBM sales office.

"....Nehalem is crushing Itanium plan and simple...." Well, Nehalem has only just arrived, so it hasn't really crushed anything yet. But it is highly likely that x64 will develop in the coming years to apoint where it is uneconomic for any of the current non-x64 vendors to carry on making CPUs for enterprise servers. That also means the end of Power, and seeing as hp is still likely to be the number one x64 vendor when that day arrives I don't think you IBMers will be laughing.

"....The DL980 with 8 sockets AND cross-network connectors will kill the Tukwila blades...." Why? Please give at least one technical or market-related argument as to why? Then, if you are so convinced this is true, try and pretend it doesn't apply to Power too.

".....If the blades had SX3000 it might have a chance but you need 8 QPI links to have an 8 socket system without a glue chip." Been over this before - the base blade is a two-socket board, not a four-socket one, so you're talking apples and oranges. You really need to get some new FUD.

/SP&L

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

RE: @ Matt

"....I was talking to the Anonymous who posted that cores count don't care anymore....." Unfortunately you posted AC and in the manner of many of the IBMers here, so apologies if that hat doesn't fit and you feel insulted by being labelled an IBmer. After all, I wouldn't want to lump you in with all the dribbling IBM trolls if in fact you actually do have some technical knowledge and experience.

"....However, it seems that you didn't read my entire post, did you?...." Oh I did, right through the boring bits. Honest, I didn't skip a bit!

"....You are such a blind Itanic fanboi and you act just like the trolls you describe..." Careful! That mask is slipping....!

"...That was horrible to say!...." Well, sorry if the truth hurts. Strangely enough you didn't think it was so "horrible" to say something similar to the poster you were answering to, do you somehow think you are more deserving of sympathy than them? Or could you just be tryping (sic) out of your nether regions?

"....I am an IT Manager..." But you get so upset over a few words? You didn't develop much of a thick skin on the way up did you, or is it that the reality is you didn't get very far up the corporate ladder?

"....shut your mouth...." Careful, I might think that was "horrible", I could be mentally scarred for life! Or I could just laugh at you.

"....MB, you should buy new glasses...." Actually, I have very good vision, I have to take an eyetest every year and I still score 21:20.

"......and get a girlfriend for a change....." Wow, haven't heard that one since I last walked past a junior school! You sure you're an IT manager, you come across more as a spluttering kiddie? What's next, you going to start making "your Momma" jokes? Please try and make them funny as your attempts at technical posts are more tragic than amusing.

"....Nehalem will destroy Itanic period...." Suspiciously like the sentiment expressed by Ms Kebabfart. A coincidence, I'm sure. And if you're wondering, no, I didn't manage to type that with a straight face. Same counter as to MS Kebabfart - x64 will kill Power just as soon as it kills Itanium, and hp will be the winner in the x64 market, not IBM.

"....Chill down and relax...." Pot meet kettle. After all, you're the one whining about me posting "horrible" things. I think you really need to get a bit of perspective.

"....We are getting very tired of your posts!" I take it that "we" is the "everyone" talking in your head? Like I said, seems to be a common condition with IBMers.

/SP&L.

8. Kebabbert

Matt Bryant

I would appreciate if you named that IBM FUDer Allison Ballison something else than Kebabfart, because it can give the casual reader the impression that Kebabbert is also an IBM FUDer or discredit Kebabbert's posts as less reliable. And as I am trying to dispel the IBM FUD (with benchmarks and white papers and links) I dont need any new hindrance such as discredit my nick name. Please.

This topic is closed for new posts.