back to article 3TB Seagate disk drive ahoy

Seagate is developing a 3TB disk drive which could hit the market this year. According to people familiar with the company's plans, a 3TB Constellation ES drive with a 6Gbit/s SAS interface will arrive later this year. The Constellation ES is a replacement for the Barracuda ES and is, Seagate says, an enterprise class drive, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eh?

There's been a 2.5" 1TB drive for ages

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/HardDrives-External/USB/WesternDigital/WDBABM0010BBK-EESN.html

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Perhaps they mean 7200 RPM as well?

There aren't any 1 TB 2.5" drives at that speed.

2. serviceWithASmile
      Heart

re: eh?

I think the author was talking about the 600GB model being replaced with a 750GB model, not 750GB being the highest capacity for the savvio.

But it's all good, looking forward to a couple of 3TB drives when they become nice n cheap :D

3. Anton Ivanov
      Grenade

That is not standard height

That is why it is available only for external and special enclosures.

You still cannot find a standard slimline you can plug in a laptop or a server with a 2" SATA enclosure.

2. Sureo
    Thumb Down

Let's hope...

that their new drives are more reliable than the last incarnation of 1TB drives ... I'm on my 2nd replacement now.

3. Daniel B.
    Unhappy

Real TBs or "fake" TBs?

'Coz I suppose they're still pulling off the 1TB = 1000GB, 1GB = 1000MB, 1MB = 1000KB, 1KB = 1000 byte scam.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
      Stop

To start your re-education, read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

You can't pretend the system doesn't exist just because your operating system gets it wrong.

4. Tom Samplonius
    Stop

Re: eh?

Mr ChriZ: The WD drive you mention is a 5400 rpm laptop drive, probably with a SATA interface, not a 7200 rpm enterprise disk with a SAS interface.

5. Chris in NZ
    Unhappy

Moore's law broken

No chance of doubling 2TB HDDs in 2 years at this pace.

I know, Moore's law is about transistor density, but storage was ticking along too. No longer it seems :(

6. k d

@Mr CriZ

Not standard thickness. The 1TB and 750MB are 12.5mm thick and won't fit in most laptops. 640MB is the current max for a standard 9.5mm thick 2.5" drive, AFAIK.

1. Gary F

Correct

It has an extra platter which makes it thicker. No problem if fitted in a 3.5" bay or an external USB case though.

7. A B 3

Sugar cube computers...

are even closer. To think nerds once envied people with full size towers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like