back to article Dell sandboxes Firefox to boost corporate security

Dell has applied application virtualisation technology to Firefox in order to offer corporates what it claims is a more secure browsing experience. The Dell KACE Secure Browser, which is available for download at no charge from Tuesday, aims to boost enterprise security while introducing businesses to the PC maker's recently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nekomata
    Happy

future

sandbox are the future of computing security, I use sandboxie and it really save lifes.

2. Highlander

So, why not before?

So, why in heaven's name hasn't this been done before? Since the inception of Windows NT windows has had the capability to run tasks in a virtual environment - the old DOS box and Windows on Windows subsystems managed that trick.

Both Internet explorer and Outlook ought to join Firefox in the sandbox along with a quarantine instance for passing, and inspecting attachments and downloads so that they cannot auto-run,. and are inspected before arriving on your nice clean machine.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Why bother with Firefox

when Internet Explorer 6 is the one that badly needs that ? Dell should give companies peace of mind running IE6 and they will make a fortune.

1. Mark 65

IE6 -> IE8?

Does IE8 not have a mode whereby it will emulate the shite that is 6?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

the future of computing security

I run FF off a USB, a script copies it to the C: drive and it's deleted at logout. Is this sandboxed enough ?

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Joke

That's nothing

I actually encase my entire computer in lead and manipulate the keyboard with mechanical waldoes. When I'm done, the container is ejected from the case into a thermite-driven furnace and incinerated down the last toxic molecule. That's what I call safe!

5. Peter W.
    WTF?

...title required...

Ok, here's a question.... where's the 64-bit support?????

6. tjdennis

Virtualize Firefox?

... Cause, Firefox wasn't slow enough to load? Or didn't consume enough memory?

Why are they trying to secure Firefox anyway? It's IE that's the biggest risk.

This topic is closed for new posts.