back to article Boffins pioneer electron spin data storage

Ohio State University boffins have built a device that stores data based on electron spin which uses less energy and is cooler than existing DRAM. Electrons can be forced to orient their magnetisation or spin in parallel (on) or anti-parallel (off) alignment by using an external magnetic field. The alignment, called spin up or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 18
    Joke

will a virus make your organic pc rot?

what's the expected shelf life of the pc? should I get red or white wine to go with it?

Given this article comes form a Spin Doctor, can we trust it?

2. Dr. Mouse

***GROAN***

"Ah, there's a green spin to this story"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ionizing Radiation tolerance.

I wonder how stable the memory cells will be when exposed to typical ionizing radiation (e.g. "Cosmic Rays", and other background radiation), because I doubt would take much to disrupt electron spin?

1. Steven Jones

Ionizing Radiation Tolerance

All sorts of momory systems are vulnerable to ionizing radiation (the denser the storage for a given technology, the more vulnerable it is). The answer is well established - error correction algorithms. Throw enough redundant bits at the problem and place them such that no single event will wreck the data integrity and you have a solution. Of course as memory gets denser then it becomes cheaper to throw more bits into the error correction redundancy plot.

Evolution long ago learned long ago to make brains not vulnerable to single synapse failures.

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Is Peter Mandelson...

... a consultant on this project?

1. Graham Marsden
      Happy

Oh sorry...

... I thought it said "Election Spin"...

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

*potentially* interesting

But a hell of a long way from buying a device out the catalogue.

Still not quite sure from the article if this is a non volatile technology. Garnet films and actual particle (or virtual particle) motion put me in mind of magnetic bubble domain memories. Hopefully this will be more commercially successful.

Cautious thumbs up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like