back to article Dixons sales ain't all that

DSGi shares fell very slightly this morning after the company said trading had held steady in the three months ended 24 July. The retailer grew sales by three per cent thanks to strong sales of big tellies in the run up to the football World Cup and an exclusive deal on early iPad sales. It said market share grew in the UK and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. caffeine addict
    FAIL

Competing with themselves

When they're trying to work out where it all went wrong, how long do you think it will take them to find the twat who decided they should start competing with themselves?

Cambridge can't be the only place with a Currys next to a PCWorld, but they've started carrying identical stock to each other. Since when does PCWorld need to sell white goods and Currys need to sell computers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Competing with themselves"

My local PC World- and a number of others, as far as I know- closed and merged with the nearby Currys store.

Perhaps they are merging the lines in anticipation of this?

At any rate, I can't remember the last time I bought anything there- I think it was an atrociously overpriced Ethernet cable, about 8 quid for 1.5 metres- about 4 1/2 years ago, or possibly one of those budget games they sell for £5.

I very rarely go there now- it's not even an interesting shop to browse. That said, harassing the underpaid and pressurised teenage twonks is probably a bit unfair on them personally, even if they are clueless- the problem lies with management.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Overpriced!

Try £29.95 for a 3m Cat5 cable in the Kensington PC World under a big banner saying "Great Value"!

2. Ben Rosenthal

Eh?

"an exclusive deal on early iPad sales"

all my local stores have had signs in the window saying they don't have any and are not getting any since day one of launch!

3. Bill 2

Maybe it's because

they're shit?

4. Tony S

Got to say it

I would suggest that the reason the sales were poor is that Dixons (or whatever else they decide to call themselves now) are primarily selling cheap crap that most people know will break down and therefore avoid like the plague.

Their after service is dreadful at best, and their sales staff are minimally educated box shifters with limited technical knowledge.

There comes a point where the average punter will simply no longer tolerate being treated like a mug, and take their business elsewhere.

5. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Does anyone still shop there?

Well?

6. Yorkshirepudding
    Troll

gold plated scart leads

says it all really

1. paulf
      Coat

I think

Gold plated optical audio cables (£50 for 1 metre IIRC) says it better!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Even better...

How about Gold plated Optical cables. Couldn't stop chuckling at that one. Priced at £60 for 1m cable too...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Sport

But dixon's/currys/PC world et al is where I get my amusement on Saturday afternoons while the wife is shopping!

- Laughing at the over-priced, under-powered, out-of-date kit on sale

- taunting the barely knowledgeable box shifter with superior knowledge (or arrogance)

- crushing their hopes as I make them fill out the "extended warranty" sheet (usually for purchasing something like a single printer cartridge), before deciding to cancel it when it's due for my signature

- changing the language settings on the laptops to render them unusable unless you know Flemish.

If they closed...how else would I amuse myself?

8. Giles Jones Gold badge

£19 printer leads

Is it any wonder people don't like DSG when PC World had cheap USB printer leads for £19.

9. Kevin Davidson
    WTF?

Exclusive? No.

Despite their highly misleading badvertising DSG did NOT have any exclusive early access to iPads. Other legitimate Apple dealers had them in stock at the same time and were very angry that so much of the press accepted DSG's press releases unquestioned.

10. Shingo Tamai
    FAIL

Dumb as ever

In "RipOff Ireland (tm)" they sell Dell laptops with inferior specs - compared to Dell website - at 90-120 euro more a piece.

Then they complain that sales are flat. :/

Nonsense.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Maybe if they didn't rip the arse out the iPad....

They'd have gotten a sale from me for an iPad in their 'tax-free' store in Heathrow but unfortunately rather than just sell it without tax, they reduced the price by about 3% rather than the expected drop due to VAT, so the difference was minimal. With that little of a difference I just went to the Apple store to buy it. I think PCWorld/Currys are really just stores of necessity - you'll buy from them if there's something spectacularly well priced otherwise you steer cleer.

1. Ascylto
      Big Brother

Surely ...

there must be some legislation, somewhere, which stops them selling iPads or anything else for that matter.

OK, razors maybe ...

12. OrsonX
    FAIL

Dixons?

Er, I thought they closed all their shops and went online... then promptly vanished*

*okay, I look at loads of gadget websites, but not theirs, I assume it does exist?

This topic is closed for new posts.