back to article Think tank calls for gov IT commoditisation

The Network for the Post Bureaucratic Age has published a paper urging the government to break down its IT projects into smaller chunks. Titled Better for Less, it says that many processes in government could be commoditised. Combined with breaking IT projects into smaller chunks and the adoption of open standards, this could …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Ursine defecation in forested areas suspected.

News at 11.

2. N2

And

Get rid of PRINCE, its a shit hole of a system designed for cling ons.

3. Bluenose

And I thought

this was what we called SOA. By breaking down the process into smaller component services they can be easily be linked together to form similar or more comprehensive end to end components. If suppliers have not been doing this over the past 10 years then what have the Govt CIOs been doing as this should have been what they were looking for.

All that said, what the people promoting this miss is that evey Govt dept has an existing legacy set of systems and trying to hook these into SOA type processes can be difficult if not tricky. Especially where the original design documentation may have been lost as a result of outsouring to successive service providers.

4. Chris Thomas Alpha
    Go

I said this like 3 years ago

I said the very same thing, stop with the huge, million pound projects and just do small, repeatable ones.

like the internet, you have a lot of small nodes, all connected in a heirarchy which lets the entire system work and be accessible.

1) you have one of those encrypted data cards which stores your information

2) you take it to a health point

3) your GP or pharmacist reads the card, asking for you to enter your pin number, like when you pay for something, chip+pin.

4) the card is read, that system is connected upstream and depending on the operation, sends data one way or the other.

5) your GP is connected to the other GP's in the same area, plus the hospital.

6) the hospital acts like a switch, connecting larger areas together, like a trunk

7) larger hospitals connect smaller hospitals together, to create the nationwide infrastructure.

8) access to my person records by a physician requires my "key" an oauth key is stored which gives that person constant access.

9) I have somewhere online, where I can revoke access, I have contact information where people can request access.

10) a master key can override by key, but requires a reason to do so and it is recorded, so I can see it

11) nice, secure and simple.

what else, I mean, we're all very intelligent human beings, instead of letting a bunch of doctors with no IT experience design the system, why don't WE design it, RFC the project until it's perfect, or near perfect and suggest that system is used.

I suppose it's because we're all bloody lazy and complain about the system, whilst simultaneously doing nothing to improve it.

5. Roger Greenwood
    Pint

I agree with the above (esp. Trevor)

and I wrote this 10 years ago :-

Don’t sign any deals with any suppliers, just order some kit, get it installed, and let local workers sort out the mess. This is what happens anyway so you might as well plan accordingly. There is always some spotty oik who knows how to get the printer to work and cheat your copy of Doom up to the third level – use him well, he comes very cheap as he is already on the payroll.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Back to the Future

Have I woken up in 1988?

This topic is closed for new posts.