back to article Microsoft to hug fanbois on 26 October with Office 2011 for Mac

Microsoft will release Office for Mac 2011 on 26 October, after shipping the software to manufacturers earlier this month. Apple fans can start pre-ordering the suite of productivity apps from today via Amazon.com, Microsoft said. The vendor also got a bit overexcited in the upcoming release about two new features it hadn’t …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob Moir

Office 2011

Running it already and I have to say I quite like it. There's a limit to just how excited I can get over office productivity software but from the (small) use of it so far, it looks good.

2. Benny
    Thumb Up

Been using the beta(s)

And I have to say, its actually not bad. Im liking the Outlook app, already much better than that Entourage atrocity!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Allowing you to block out the distractions"

What, like the intrusive Ribbon that replaced perfectly serviceable menus? And I laughed when I read the official MS line on why the Office Button blinks: "The blinking is a "look at me/click here" feature, because many people think that the button looks like a decorative logo, rather than a button to click to see commands."

4. VeganVegan
    Gates Halo

Cool!

It's been a long while since one can be the first in the company to get the new version, send its totally incompatible documents to one's colleagues, and have them ask about it. How cool is that?

And, imagine, being the one that forces the entire organization to upgrade to the version for no good reason other than to able to read each other's docs should send shivers of triumph into any white collar worker! Seldom does a minion have such significance!

M$ laughs all the way to the bank, yet again, with its latest lipstick on the same pig.

5. Michael C

1 question

collaboration fully compatible across Mac/PC? Can i have a Windows Word 2010 doc open and have Mac users interact in real time?

6. h 6
    WTF?

So many?

One version of iWork, thank you.

1. Glesga Snapper
      Thumb Up

Indeed.

Amen to that brother!

7. mrweekender
    Thumb Down

WTF?

I'll take Open Office 3.2 any day over £270 "worth" of rehashed MS crap. The last version took about three updates to get it working properly anyway. No thanks Stevie boy, I'll stay freetard on this one.

8. Stu 18
    Unhappy

Tell me why

Why is it that the mac version of powerpoint is always more powerful and useful than the pc version? Particularly when it comes to doing anything clever with videos or even transparency in pictures. If you want high quality, use a mac, if you are just a push for this hideous pre made template type - then pc is fine.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No thanks

Yuck. Word is the most bloated and fussy piece of software I've ever had the misfortune to use.

Every time they shoehorn more pointless features into it, so that now it is just a horrific mess to use.

10. The Cube
    Thumb Up

Full screen view....

“Full Screen view which has two views: one optimised for writing and the other for reading. Allowing you to block out the distractions and focus on putting your idea on paper,”

What? You mean that the irritating smug little tossers sitting in Starbucks "writing a novel" will actually finish the turgid tripe and have to feck off somewhere else instead?

11. Grivas Bo Diddly Harm
    Gates Horns

Ker-ching!

I see MS are still having trouble with their dollar to sterling conversion software.

$279 = £270?? My arse it does, even taking into account taxes, shipping, etc, etc. It's not even as if they've put themselves to the trouble and expense of translating it into proper English.

Still, if people are so foolish as to be ripped off by such actions, why should I care?

I do, though, miserable old sod that I am.

12. BI_Tinkering
    Coffee/keyboard

Really?

Since when is the Ribbon Controversial? Of course we all know that if even a single OSX user finds the Office Ribbon useful, the world will end, so I see why an iDrone would have some apprehension about it.

I sure am glad it's getting panned even before anyone gets to try it for themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ribbon

As a PC (work) and Mac (home) user I continue to consider the ribbon a dubious benefit. Yes, I'll probably upgrade, as working regularly on two very different interfaces is confusing. However, the ribbon:

- moves a lot of functions away from their old groupings

- means extra mouse clicks to achieve a lot of things

- breaks a lot of keyboard shortcuts

- takes up a lot of screen real estate (auto hide is annoying), particularly on a laptop screen

13. Barry Rueger
    Gates Horns

Ribbon good!

I don't where people got off on bitching about the Ribbon. I expected to hate it, but very quickly found it to be big improvement on what went before.

I've finally settled into Ubuntu after many, many failed attempts at leaving Windows - it's that good now - but OpenOffice has yet to replace MS Office for me. Open Office is still nowhere as good as MS Office. And on Ubuntu Office runs faster under WINE than it did on Vista. Go figure.

Powerpoint? How can one care strongly about anything that PowerPoint does? Why? It's one of the more drippy, minimally functional apps invented.

This topic is closed for new posts.