back to article IBM's mid-range storage blast

IBM has announced a new mid-range array made from many existing components. It uses the Storwize brand, but there's no compression. The XIV-style GUI brings Mac desktop graphics to storage admin. The Storwize V7000 is a mid-range array that is said to complement the DS5000, but it uses modern software components allied to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Why is it called Storwize if it has no compression?

That's just asinine. I always thought IBM's confused marketing was just due to grotesque incompetence. Now I'm starting to think they're doing it on purpose? Why? Because they hate customers? I don't understand...

2. Barry Whyte
    Thumb Up

Clarifications :)

Good to catch up yesterday Chris, and nice article - my quote re virtualizing external storage was "we are happy for people to run external virtualized storage with production workloads, not just archive data like some other vendors"

At present there is no dedupe built into the V7000.

The GUI is "XIV style" but has been completely re-written to run browser side, rather than a java application.

I don't think we clarified yesterday, but the SATA drives, area actually Nearline SAS - so a SATA spindle but dual ported SAS interface.

On page 3 you mention XIV 3 times, when I think you mean SVC.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like