back to article Security firms shrug shoulders over GCHQ cyberattack warning

Security firms reckon GCHQ's well-publicised warnings about the threat from cyber attacks earlier this week are timed to coincide with the run-up to the UK government's comprehensive spending review announcement. We spoke to several security consultants who believe the threat warnings were aimed at making sure GCHQ's line of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A theory

That both the US and the UK may be overreacting to threat of pending cyber war?

2. Thomas 18
    Joke

1 billion pounds!

I recommend we spend the first £500,000 building a giant laser so we can inscribe 'don't forget to change the default password' onto the face of the moon.

3. John Styles

"the great prophet M'andee-rice Davies" as Ms Stob would say

Was there anyone who didn't think this when they heard the news story?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Leave that big security hole alone!

Yes, I know someone's trying to infect the NHS networks but we don't get paid to look after their networks.

Leave it alone and when there are funding cuts (think: change in government silly!) we'll just pull out the stats, show what is happening and then put in an increased funding bid.

If we don't do it that way we'll get a funding cut that will be irreversible.

Now, where have we put Dilbert?

Have you read it this week?

It's great!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last Year

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/27/nhs_spoof_email_xss_flaw/

Except my name was spelt wrong. An attack was perfectly feasible and at the time I was informed by a senior member of government, that looking for holes by one government department in another department's assets would be illegal under the computer misuse act.

So it's okay to respond to a potential attack but not to vet a website, GCHQ appears to have a tricky situation then. Is there a catch 22 icon ??

6. MinionZero
    WTF?

This cyber war PR == the new McCarthyism ... fear fear fear ... more money please!

This is utter madness getting ever worse by the day!

@"GCHQ's well-publicised warnings about the threat from cyber attacks earlier this week are timed to coincide with the run-up to the UK government's comprehensive spending review announcement"

That's basically what I said yesterday. Its blatantly a PR move designed to block the government cuts.

But its also so deeply sickening and increasingly infuriating. We face an expected £1B cut in science investment, yet the government pisses all that money saved away on this cyber war (tm) lobbyist security contractor PR story of scaremongering bull shit designed to block the government cuts. So instead of cutting it, they give it an extra £1BILLION+ !!!.

To add insult to injury, we also now face (its just been leaked in the past few hours on the BBC) a staggeringly huge cut of £4.2BILLION funding of Universities (which sadly now explains why they wanted to vastly increase the Tuition fees). So on the one hand we have now around £5.2BILLION! taken from education and science investment into the UK, (that would have helped industry!!!) yet on the other hand we waste another £1Billion of very much needed money to be basically just pissed away on this cyber war scare story that ultimately ends up with us having even more of our privacy invaded!!!

The more I see this week, the more I feel like we are doomed to suffer jaw dropping mismanagement and ever more Orwellian moves whichever government we pick. :(

This is insult after insult, watching the country made ever worse whilst other competitor countries are investing more in science and so investing in their futures! and yet also they are not so distracted by these infuriatingly cyber war scaremongering lobby groups trying to take money for their ultimately ever more Orwellian goals!!!.

This is utter madness!

We are badly undermine the country and yet these ever more "cyber war" Orwellian scaremongers are profiting from it! WTF is going on!

7. JaitcH

UK Government: Do as we say, not as we do

How can anyone take the UK government, and more particularly it's privacy destroying agencies, seriously when the government laughingly continues to use antiquated software, such as Internet Explorer 6, which even it's author recommends that it be abandoned!

The drivel about needing to 'train staff' to use safer browsers is laughable, unless it's employees are intelligence challenged, as most adopters of new versions seem to have minimal difficulty in achieving a basic usability, permitting productive use.

The 'advanced' features can be introduced gradually so their brains are not over taxed.

Lurking in the background is the question: Why? Does upgrading help GCHQ achieve it's aims of being Big Brother?

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Bad just got Worser .....

"An attack was perfectly feasible and at the time I was informed by a senior member of government, that looking for holes by one government department in another department's assets would be illegal under the computer misuse act." ... Philip Clarke Posted Friday 15th October 2010 12:12 GMT

If that is the case, then is the government system riddled rotten with vulnerabilities and worm holes and viral networks to its core.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't know

@amanfromMar1 It was made very clear that any kind of testing professional or otherwise wwould be frowned upon.

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

@amanfrommars1

"If that is the case, then is the government system riddled rotten with vulnerabilities and worm holes and viral networks to its core."

Yes. They are called politicians.

10. n3td3v

The register slow on the uptake

I post about this days ago,

https://sites.google.com/site/n3td3v/latest/defencecutscouldharmcybercapability

Andrew

11. bradbox
    IT Angle

Lateral thinking - just disconnect

Why are power stations or water plants connected to the Internet in the first place?

http://blog.bradbox.com/a-cheap-answer-to-the-impending-uk-cyber-atta

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like