back to article Ex-Red Hatters eye Larry's MySQL wobblers

EnterpriseDB is changing its tune, hoping to snag defectors from MySQL as well as Oracle's proprietary database. The PostgreSQL-based company told The Reg that it's now trying to engage more with the PostgreSQL community by sponsoring events like this week's Pg West 2010 in San Francisco, where it can evangelize the platform …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. flying_walrus
    Linux

the title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits

This article makes it sound as if there isn't already a strong Postgres community.

obviously, there is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think it does that and ...

it's always good for PostgreSQL to get the exposure.

2. Daniel B.
      Happy

We the Postgres People

There are a lot of us that consider PostgreSQL as a main DBMS. I have done so since 1998. While I did initially jump to the MySQL craze, MySQL's disregard on transactions put me off, especially when the 3.x documentation insisted on telling me that transactions were not needed.

MySQL did get the spotlight for most of the Noughties, but thanks to Oracle, Postgres may finally come back and replace MySQL as the preferred open-source DBMS.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of frying pan and into the fire.

"PostgreSQL is licensed under the BSD-like PostgreSQL License, where you - the contributor - keep all rights."

Yeah, and that is a bad thing. Users have no rights, only contributors. License has no patent grant, so contributors can sue users for patents if they like. And Sun used to contribute to PostgreSQL before buying MySQL.

Oracle can seek royalties from Posgres users if it becomes a threat, or shut it down completely. BSD-ish license doesn't forbid that. They could never do that to MySQL now that they distributed it and gave away rights under GPL; worst thing they could do is stop development and then forks would can take over. Postges, on the other hand, is in same spot as Dalvik. Completely unprotected.

Moving from MySQL to Postgres looks like jumping from frying pan into the fire to me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like