back to article Cloudfather withdraws after Isilon blows it

The Wall Street Journal reports that EMC has lost interest in buying scale-out filer supplier Isilon. Isilon makes clustered filters that are used in movie post-production work and other applications with a great number of files needing multiple accesses. This is a growing application area unsuited to EMC's Celerra filer. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

"EMC boss Joe Tucci, known to some now as the Cloudfather"

"Cloudfather"?

::snicker::

You have GOT to be joking ...

2. josephmartins

Seriously Chris?

Known as the Cloudfather? Seriously Chris? By whom? You? One person who might have said it jokingly to suck up during a conference call? I've not once heard Tucci referred to as the "Cloudfather" and I've been in this business with my ear to the ground for the last 8+ years.

Isilon has decent tech, but it obviously got DotCom greedy in its dealings with EMC. We always overvalue that which is already ours. No big deal, and depending on one's perspective about business, no big loss either. Isilon will continue to do quite well without EMC in a market in which EMC offers no competitive product.

Frankly I'd rather have seen EMC pursue DDN. Of the two companies (and we've dealt with them both) we prefer DDN's approach.

3. Borneo

Takeover rumours.

So I now own Netapp shares as they are going to be taken over by IBM, I own Brocade shares as they are going to be taken over by HP/IBM, and I own Compellent shares as they are going to be taken over by someone.

Thanks' El Reg for all the tips!

This topic is closed for new posts.