back to article Quest gets some Bakbone for $55m

Quest Software is buying Bakbone Software for $55m, getting the data-protection-software maker out of the hole it had dug itself into. Quest makes application-specific data protection software, such as LiteSpeed for MIcrosoft SQL Server and Oracle. Bakbone makes general data protection software under its NetVault brand. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not a surprise....

Well it’s not a surprise. The company been going down the toilet ever since Jim Johnson and his goons took over. They made a company that was growing in revenue, gaining OEMs and hit profitability into a useless shell.

With the assistance of Jim Johnson (useless CEO), Doug Spencer (dumbest VP Engineering on the planet and worse offshore expert in the galaxy) and Ken Horner (wannabe strategist) they managed to destroy all sales, product development, company morale and created a failed strategy. Result was after two years after Jim Johnson started, most of the sales teams , executives and BakBone founding engineers had gone, revenue were down and lost OEMs. They had to pay the remaining engineers silly money for them to stay.

In its place they acquired some companies. A useless reporting company, Constant Data (they dropped 2 years later), Asempra (still alive just), Cold Spark (gone). Think there were others too. None of the acquisitions made any money and cost BakBone a lot of upkeep.

For the few remaining employees that were there from the start, I feel sorry for them. As too for the shareholders.

Don’t feel sorry for the executives. Steve Martin, Dan Woodward , etc are going to get massive payoffs in the event of an acquisition. They laughing all the way to the bank. I suspect less than half the company will be retained , probably just the leftover of the engineering team and the Asian Sales force that has kept the company afloat.

[FAIL - BakBone FAIL that is, not Mr Mellor]

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Constant Data

Wasn't a reporting company jackass. They were a file system replication company. And BakBone still sells their product.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Constant Data

Constant Data wasn't a reporting company.. They were a file system replication company. And AFAIK, BakBone still sells Replicator.

You're thinking of Report Manager which was shit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Constant Data ...

Didnt say Constant Data were a reporting company, I said they bought a reporting company, constant data , etc.

Cant remember the reporting company, otium or opium or something like that.

And they still selling it? Yeah. show me? I think they stil have customers using it but they dropped it from their line card a year or more so?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Contant Data....

uhmmm actually they do still seem to be selling it.

I stand corrected.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like