back to article Facebook joins Apple and Google in data center wonderland

Facebook has announced plans for a second custom-built data center, saying it will build a $450 million facility in western North Carolina, which is suddenly a big-name data-center hot bed. Apple and Google have already built high-profile data centers in the Great North State, which isn't really in the North. It's in the South …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So much for all the greenwash

I do not want to even think of the chiller bill for North Carolina. They might as well put the servers in Sahara. So much for all the green wash PR being spread around.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

lolwut

Uh, Northern California is pretty temperate. Bit warmer than Britain, but not that much. Even Southern California isn't that hot, not the western bit anyway.

1. cloudberry

metafail

Uh, try reading the article and the post again. North Carolina is a different place than Northern California.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

breaking news

North Carolina isn't in the north?

Next you'll be telling us that South Dakota isn't in the south, and West Virginia isn't in the west.

North Carolina temp and humidity is brutal for much of the year? Well, if your definition of "much of the year" means July and August and perhaps a bit of September, then perhaps yes; certainly not worse than, say, southern Italy or Greece. I'd hazard that the rest of the year it's really quite nice, based on my one or two forays there.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hydro?

What's the cost per Kwh and where does it come from?

1. Kirbini
      Flame

Burn baby burn...

Coal, of course. NC is in or very near the heart of American coal country.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Juice!

Its the cheap nuke power guys.

5. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

Wow

I bet that place will hold a lot of status updates.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like