back to article HP's new relationship makes Oracle 'very furious'

HP is about to ditch its Oracle customer relationship management system and sign a massive deal with Salesforce. Oracle and HP have been rowing since the departure of HP boss Mark Hurd and his immediate reappearance at Oracle. Now, according to Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry, HP is set to ditch its Siebel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. chairman_of_the_bored
    Paris Hilton

Data Entry Systems

This will be the second time that HP has ditched Oracle. The first time when it moved to Siebel from Oracle CRM (also known internally as "The Data Entry System" because you could never get any useful data out of it) and then Oracle went and bought Siebel. Now if HP jumps ship to Salesforce.com I think Oracle should take the hint and go make a pass at Dell or some other maker of cheap consumer goods.

Paris, because she is only a "New Generation" fan who likes data entry.

2. Bilgepipe

Bkok!

What's that sound? Sort of a clucking, flapping, chickens-coming-home-to-roost kind of a noise....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So...

Nothing to do with Leo's somewhat tempestuous relationship with Larry then?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

RE: So....

Actually, I thought Leo was intent on wedding hp firmly to SAP, so I'm inclined to view the whole Salesforce.com story with a measure of doubt for now. As hp already has a large SAP infrastructure, I'd be surprised if they did swing for Salesforce unless the savings really were massive.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Oracle gets what they deserve

Hope that this sends Oracle a signal: your CEO cannot behave the way it does, your prices cannot raise forever, your sales force cannot be arrogant, your technology cannot stale. Your acquired business are not a cash cow you can indefinitely milk, you need to provide actual value and not just the Oracle brand name slapped on top of PeopleSoft/Siebel/Sun/Whatever.

There's something much worse than losing the HP account: the effect on other big corporate customers. When they read the news -and surely Salesforce will spread them quickly- they'll start to ask themselves why they keep paying increasingly high prices for Siebel. If Salesforce is enough for HP, why it can't be enough for me?

5. Mikel
    Pint

Nothing to do with the CEO

HP makes servers. Oracle bought Sun. Sun makes servers. That shifts Oracle from the "partner" column to the "competitor" column. Supporting competitors with revenue is self destructive. It's not an emotional thing - it's just business.

1. RudeBuoy

You Hit the Nail on THe Head

The same happened with HP relationship with Cisco when Cisco entered the server market a few years back

6. Smoking Man
    IT Angle

Not so fast..

It will take years until HP-IT releases then their vision of a successful migration to Salesforce:

When they customized it to death, making it slow as molasses even for simple queries which deliver no results.

Replace error messages with either no messages, or translate them to Klingon.

Hey Larry, listen, we don't only give you your Siebel back, we give you Randy Mott as well, for free!

He's a good friend of Mark, and provides about the same value!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Smoking Man....

Hey, you must work for the same IT company that I do. Have to agree with you on this one.

Randy has also saved his IT dept. untold millions by passing the buck to the workforce, driving up the costs of the people he was supposed to support, by decreasing our productivity with the current 'self help' anonymous IT support. This has taken DIY to a new level, along w. his bonus's.

Regards,

Non Smoking Man

7. 2cent

Pure speculation

What about a Palm V2 device with Salesforce Enhancements Package.

Initially HP eats its own dog food.

Packages it with Salesforce.

Instant great product.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like