back to article Hitachi GST brings out massive DVR units

Hitachi GST has introduced new drives for digital video recorders, revving its existing 3.5-inch product with doubled capacity and giving us a 50 per cent capacity increase on the 2.5-inch product. With the new 3.5-inch drive, DVRs can hold twice as many movies and TV programmes as before. The 3.5-inch 5K2000 hard disk drive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K. Adams
    Stop

TravelStar Z5K500...

... utilising an impressive^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H dangerous 636Gbit/in^2 areal density.

Packing 'em in a bit too tightly, methinks. If I have to use a mechanical laptop drive, I think I'll play it safe(r) and stick with units in the 250GB range...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Badgers

whatever...

People said that when they hit 1GB.

Do regular decent backups and you have no problem....

Loving my 1TB 2.5inch drives...

2. A Known Coward
    WTF?

2 + 2 = 8 ???

"... the previous 5K1000 had four 500GB platters to reach its maximum 1TB capacity"

When you think about it, the whole sentence makes no sense. If the 5k2000 offers double the capacity of the 5K1000 it would be 1TB, so only two 500GB platters, one less than the new drive, which means the cost of goods bill you refer to has actually gone UP.

So err .. whoops?

3. YARR
    Dead Vulture

Next year...

"Next year we can expect even more capacious CinemaStar drives."

Was this penned in 2010?

Most other drive makers have had 3 x 666Gb platter 2Tb drives since mid 2010. Hitachi are just playing catch up.

4. Alan Edwards
    WTF?

2.3 Bels ?!

> The company says they are quiet, outputting 2.3 bels when idling

I think you mean 2.3 decibels, 2.3 Bels would definitely make your ears bleed.

Alan.

This topic is closed for new posts.