back to article PC market limps into 2011

The worldwide market for PCs grew just 2.7 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2010 despite generous pricing and Christmas promotions. Figures from IDC put total shipments at 92.1m – making it the largest ever quarter. But analysts warned that softening consumer demand, the fading of interest in mini notebooks and competition …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Storm Cloud

Acer decline

Wow, a 15% decline in sales for Acer almost counts as a landslide doesn't it? Mind you I think the wave they rode of cheap laptops has worn a bit thin. I'm coming across a lot of their machines that are physically falling apart, and most of them are well inside the lifespan that people are expecting from their machines. This is leading them to other companies when it comes to renewal.

The ever present adage of you get what you pay for does generally hold true, and in terms of economics, investing that extra £100 for a same spec, better build quality device can pay dividends down the line.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

growing 2.7% in a quarter during a recession = limping?

if we're doing pre-emptive obituaries can I also say RIP to the motorcar, the keyboard ....

1. Storm Cloud

Errmm...

Read my post again, my reference was to the last sentence of the article with says Acer lost 15% of sales. I then go on to talk about why I thought that was. That doesn't really have anything to do with the industry as a whole.

1. stucs201

Erm..

...realise that AC was commenting on the article as a whole, not replying to your comment about one particular paragraph.

3. Anonymous John

Another Errmm

AC's post was about the article, not your comment

(Posted on an Acer laptop used daily for the past four years.)

4. stucs201
    WTF?

Yeah, really in trouble

"Oh noes, we sold 2.4 million more PCs than last year! How will we cope?"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You would think

everyone who wants a computer would have one by now. There would have to be a sales slump sooner or later. This isn't the first time I've heard of slow PC sales.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well..

Looking at building an i7 2600K machine myself this year, minimum 8GB, SSD, ATI 6990 possibly. Three 24" monitors.

...so, if they want to lower prices to encourage more growth then it's fine with me...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like