back to article Small biz would pay more for simpler tax

Small business owners would pay more tax, if the system was simpler and it cracked down on tax avoidance by their competitors. Smaller firms believe they're at an unfair disadvantage compared to bigger companies. Most smaller companies also complained that the tax system deters them from hiring more staff. Phil Orford, chief …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pay more? with what?

Clearly this article is for smaller businesses in larger cities. As a small self employed business im struggling to keep running let alone make a profit.

I already work on the basis that 49% or everything thats invoiced goes to the Gov in taxes and the remainder is fuel (taxed), bills (taxed) and salary (taxed).

The only way forward for 'some' will be to fiddle their taxes. Not to makes lots of money, but merely to put food on the table.

2. MinionZero
    Unhappy

Smaller firms unfairly disadvantaged

@"Smaller firms believe they're at an unfair disadvantage compared to bigger companies"

What like "Google slips $3.1bn through 'Double Irish' tax loophole"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/22/google_double_irish_tax_loophole/

That shows small businesses can't play tax games the way global corporations can. :(

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Too complex?

In other news, politicans find brain, switch on.

But 21% is still death by slow strangulation. I hear some people are into that.

4. Argh!
    Troll

Say it ain't so!

I am shocked... Shocked I say, at the suggestion that tax law might favour those who have millions of pounds to spend on bri.. er.. lobbying for "tax reform" instead of those that don't.

That can't *possibly* be right. The Company is your Friend, Citizen. :-)

5. John Rose

Channel Islands

Let's be provocative. I do not understand why the Channel Islands are allowed to have zero/exempt from VAT for businesses domiciled there. Surely, either the Channel Islands are part of Great Britain or they're not. If they are part of Great Britain then they should have the same tax system as the other components of Great Britain. If they're not, then they should be regarded as non-EU countries.

1. Jim Bobble
      Thumb Up

Like having your very own Reg encyclopaedia

"Surely, either the Channel Islands are part of Great Britain or they're not"

Well, I have great pleasure in confirming for you that they are not part of Great Britain - nor have they ever been.

"If they're not, then they should be regarded as non-EU countries."

Which is, of course, how they are regarded. Try importing something over £20(ish) from any of the Channel Island states and see how far you get without paying customs duty or tax on it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bol oo loxs

The only thing the tories are interested in is making the rich richer, by lies and every downright dirty trick in the book. That's why the tax system is so complicated. Sheer greed.

And we wonder why our kids and our peers and unhappy??

This topic is closed for new posts.