back to article IBM claims its big blue tools penetrate markets

It has become a habit of IBM to brag about how much market share its Power Systems servers are taking away from Hewlett-Packard, Oracle, and Fujitsu as it closes out each quarter, and the fourth quarter was no exception for Big Blue. The Power Systems lineup includes older servers based on dual-core Power6 and Power6+ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K. Adams
    Pint

275K --> 100K for IBM i / i5/OS / OS/400

It's a shame that so many organisations appear to be/have been moving away from IBM's AS/400 platform (in all of its various flavours).

The AS/400 is, by-and-large, the best box that IBM ever designed, its OS having been developed by a team specifically chosen for their "lack of exposure" to UNIX and other POSIX-like operating systems.

I would venture to say that in our relatively short history of computerdom, there have been few other boxes that "just work" after being removed from the shipping crate, moved into the server room, plugged in, and powered on.

Long live the 400!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AS/400 Cash Cow

The AS/400 was a good box, but at what price? IBM knew it had no natural competition once it was installed in an account so IBM milked customers for every penny! And because it didn't lend itself well to external disk, IBM were able to charge the earth for disk as well! The exact same 'bits' for a PSeries or ISeries box were priced very differently.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Small box focus?

Back in Feb 2010 I did ask our IBM salesgrunts why were IBM starting with the Pee7 entry systems rather than the big-daddy 795 (OK, I teased them by implying it was because they had to get something out before Nehalem took all the sales, and was it becasue it was easier to get the small boxes out the door first?). Their neat answer was that their primary targets for the year were legacy Solaris accounts feeling left in the lurch by the Sunset, and they didn't need the 795 to target the majority of those accounts. It doesn't seem to have been such a bad idea going on the sales figures. Maybe their attention will shift more to the top-end once they've finished feasting on the Sun carcass.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like