back to article VMware Go promoted to Pro

Server hypervisor juggernaut VMware is known for charging a hefty premium for its virtualization and related management tools, but its ESXi hypervisor has been free for years and for a year it has been shipping a tool called VMware Go to manage its freebie hypervisors. These moves were reactions to Microsoft entering the market …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Goat Jam
    Flame

I have lost interest in VMware

since they went down the fricking dotNET path making all their stuff totally unmanageable without a Micro$oft OS on your workstation. Fuck that you bastards!

It is a pity that the management tools for KVM, Xen and Virtualbox all suck so (comparatively) much too. LibVirt is slowly getting some functionality that sort of works but that is about it.

The moving target that is the virtualbox command line in headless mode is enough to drive you insane. Console commands that require CapitalisationToUse? WTF is that about?

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Wait a minute!

Wasn't this the lame product that required you to install a Windows server in order to be able to install VMware ESx over it ?

Quoting from the web site :

"Remote Install streamlines the installation of vSphere Hypervisor on Windows machines. Now you no longer have to burn a CD or physically go to the machine you want to install to--just enter the IP address or machine name and VMware Go takes care of the installation."

Absolutely hilarious! The time it takes to install Windows server you can go slip a CD into that machine, install VMware and still have time for a large cup of coffee. And if you don't feel competent to install the hypervisor, just forget about virtualization, OK ?

3. Shaun 2

Eh?

@AC - You're thinking of VMware Server - ESXi is a proper bare metal hypervisor, so no windows installation is required. You do need a windows workstation to install the vsphere client so you can manage the thing, but that can always be virtualized once you're up and running :)

ESXi is great at home - good way of reusing some old hardware. Not quite sure why anyone would want patch and asset management at home.......

SMB's may want it, but I think a WSUS server would probably be a better investment (especially if it's virtualized), and asset management for most SMB's can be done manually...........

1. Mark 65

@Shaun 2

"ESXi is great at home - good way of reusing some old hardware. "

But that would be server class hardware wouldn't it? I'd like to find a minimal ESX-style hypervisor install to virtualise an old PC.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

You are right,

I was referring to ESXi. Thanks for correcting me.

4. MikeWW

@ Mark 65

I currently have VMware ESXi 4 running very happily on a Dell OptiPlex 745 that I bought off eBay.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like