back to article Data centre season down under

As Asia Pacific data centres hit 90 per cent capacity, a new crop of data hubs is blooming across Australia. This week HP unveiled its ‘Next Generation Data Centre’ in western Sydney suburb Eastern Creek, better known as a motor racing hub. The Sydney data centre investment is part of HP’s US$1 billion “transformation” to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

now just need affordable bandwidth

bandwidth costs are pretty high in that neck of the woods..

2. FozzyBear

Will I be the only one

That reads the following spelling mistake '

inister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy

as

Sinister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy

3. -tim
    Flame

Power?

There is plenty of data to fill these data centers but who can afford the power bills? Even with the heavy discounts by providing a nice stable 24x7 load, energy costs about 4x what it does if you shop around the globe.

4. VoodooForce
    FAIL

yeah but what about the Mad mOnk?

Tony "I see people reading emails on their laptop's at airports using Wifi all the time Therefore: broadband can be delivered to all Australia via wireless" Abbot is still doing everything in his ignorant partisan power to derail the NBN so its not a given - particularly not given how selfish the Australian people are as a mob. If it was up to the mob nothing would be spent on infrastructure other than middle income handouts and fireworks competitions with each others capital city.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Location, location, location...

Why not put the data centres somewhere cool. If a real dents going to be made in the carbon foot print why not reduce the cost of cooling by storing the servers somewhere cool.

I can kind of see the point if putting one in Brisban with some cheap water cooled property's currently being floated on the market.

6. Denarius
    Paris Hilton

yeah right

So our very limited supply of engineers, builders, concreters, plumbers and electricians will take time off from the profitable rebuilding of Queenslands mines and housing to build cheap data centers ?

Paris because it sounded like a good idea...

1. Ivan Slavkov
      Joke

And your problem is?

Just add them to the professions that give extra points for the immigration system. Plenty of that to go around Eastern Europe and other places which would prefer down under to let's say USA.

I am speaking this as an IT professional who happens also to be a reasonably good plumber, carpenter and electrician.

Not that I would apply of course :)

7. Mark 65

Arse

"Senator Stephen Conroy said “infrastructure such as this Next Generation Data Centre exemplifies the type of forward-looking investment activity that the NBN is encouraging in Australia."

Really? Sure about that Senator Luddite?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like