back to article HDS first past VAAI post

Hitachi Data Systems says it's the first virtualised storage array vendor to fully integrate with VMware's vStorage API and relieve the hypervisor of storage grunt work. The VMware storage API is called VAAI (vStorage APIs for Array Integration), and the intent is that ESX can offload many storage-related operations to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Barry Burke
    WTF?

EMC has been shipping VAAI since 2010

VAAI support has been available for all VMAX and CLARiiON arrays since last year, and is also standard for the new VNX arrays.

1. Pete Gerr
      Thumb Up

Response to @Barry

@Barry - that may very well be true for your newest boxes, but HDS is the first to certify for third-party storage across all three primitives – Full Copy, Block Zeroing, and hardware-assisted locking, or SCSI reservation lock. So now users can get the benefits of VAAI on DMX, CX3 and other arrays via VSP - essentially virtualizing 100s of existing 3rd party arrays.

2. Chris Mellor 1

EMC first

This was sent to me by EMC's Rick Lacroix, Director of Public Relations ∙ Storage Products and Software:-

------------------------

A point of clarification on today's VAAI integration story. HDS isn't first.

VAAI is GA on VMAX - it was announced in January and began shipping last December, it was a major part of our announcement in London.

We also announced it on our midrange systems at EMC World last May. GA in Q3 of '10

http://www.emc.com/about/news/press/2010/20100511-02.htm

There's lots of VAAI integration work happening in the industry, but the subhead on today's story is inaccurate as it relates to EMC.

------------------

Chris.

1. Diskcrash

the devil is in the details.

Like so many "we are first" pronouncements HDS' announcement needs to be read quite literally. They are the first VIRTUALISED storage array vendor to implement VAAI. This does not mean that they are claiming to be the first storage array vendor though I am sure they are happy enough to let people that don't pick up on this think it might be the case.

But to be honest who other than a vendor's PR staff cares about being able to claim they were the first?

1. joe.harlan

Don't forget NetApp V-Series

So as of the latest OS release from NetApp, DataONTAP 8.01 7-mode, they too fully support VAAI on a virtual array (V-Series). Since 8.01 7-mode was released GA a couple of weeks back, I would say that HDS may be speaking out of turn. Does anyone know details suggesting otherwise?

3. friet
    Happy

HP first....

Hi Guys,

Let me jump in as well...HP announced and started shipped VAAI integration on the P4000 platform in November 2010...

Cheers,

Frank

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

3PAR first?

3PAR announced VAAI support on July 13th 2010.

In fact 3PAR are the ONLY array vendor to support VAAI who also have a yellow bezel on the front of their kit.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

HP first....

If that includes the VSA then they were probably first in both categories :-)

6. Barry Burke
    Boffin

reality check - vsp vaai support

http://thestorageanarchist.typepad.com/weblog/2011/02/3020-reality-check-vsp-vaai-support.html

7. rpwallin
    Stop

Truth in Advertising Please

Dell EQ started shipping VAAI support June 2010 including data copy offload, block zeroing, and locking.

To my knowledge, EMC Clariion/VNX, Symm/VMAX, and Netapp already have it too.

A little truth in advertising would be nice. This is about as bad as EMC marketing they released 41 new products in Jan.

Gerr's response above is really stating that HDS is first of anyone who does things exactly like HDS does. Pretty late to the game in reality.

I think HDS and EMC are underestimating the intelligence of customers when they release headlines like this. Maybe an article on truth in advertising would be timely and relevant. Suggestion for you Mellor.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like