back to article Of Dell, storage and stacks

Last week I spent a couple of days at a Dell event reserved for partners in Milan. It's always interesting to talk with vendors and their partners to know more about their market perception and field strategies... especially during lunches and dinners with good food and red wine. Partners All the world thinks Dell is a direct …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Levente Szileszky
    Go

Stack...

...or not, it would be HUGE if Dell would standardize its storage software stack across EQL and Compellent especially if they would maintain external/third-party storage support.

Commvault acquisition sounds great except they have gazillion partnerships - haven't they just announced some 400th agreement yesterday? - and becoming part of Dell could break all hell loose in the reseller chain...

Dell would be better off buying a real (fully vertical) networking company because their current portfolio is all over the place eg mash of Dell, Brocade and Juniper units - Juniper would be a nice catch but over $20B it's pricey as hell

By now Dell picked up EqualLogic, Ocarina, Exanet and Compellent and while CVLT could fit there it's not essential by any means; they rather need to get busy whipping all these IPs into one scalable stack now, I think.

1. esignoretti

...stack

Levente,

thank you for your comment,

Dell does more than 50% of Commvault revenues and the Dell's business model for acquired companies is pretty good (IMHO, CV could have a lot of freedom to support its actual customers).

On the network side I think Brocade is better than Juniper (not from a products point of view) but because the cost and the fact that brocade already has a complete converged ethernet proposition.

But I agree with you, in my short list Network comes before backup.

2. HighlightAll
    Linux

Dell, Ubuntu and OpenStack

Care to comment? Would love some analysis.

3. Jay 3
    Flame

Frack!

OK ... we bought a pair of Compellent Series 40 SANs and 2 weeks later they are bought by Dell.

Frack!

Now I need to replace all my fiberchannel switches and I sure as hell don't want to buy Cisco so I am looking at Brocade again and then I read this.

Double frack!

Oh and we are just closing a very large purchase of Commvault to displace our TSM environment.

Triple frack!

I spent the first 5 of the last 10 years getting rid of everything Dell in my enterprise and now I might have them back in my datacenters, and this time in critical infrastructure.

Quadruple frack!!!!

4. esignoretti

on Openstack

Openstack is an interesting project but looks like an utopistic approach to me and sponsoring vendors have a conflict of interests.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like