back to article DWP ditches Fujitsu and reappoints HP

The Department for Work and Pensions has ripped up its multi-million pound desktop support contract with Fujitsu before the company even started work. HP lost the contract, one of the UK's biggest, when it was handed to Fujitsu in January last year. But last Friday Fujitsu had its contract torn up and HP was asked to continue …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Livinglegend
    Coat

Millions lost forever

Millions more down the drain by the DWP. It is no wonder that it tries to rip-off severely disabled and dying people when they waste such amounts of taxpayer's money.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Keep the daily fail comments about taxpayers money wasted to yourself please...

... If this had worked out it would have saved the DWP millions, sadly it looks like Fujitsu didn't have the ability to pull it off what they promised. Better to call it a day and cut your losses than to throw more and more money at a solution and partner that can't do what they promised...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

....Sounds like it could seriously dent Fujitsu's Virtual Desktop plans

Fujitsu's plans to convert over 200,000 users to VDI in the UK may just have gone done the drain. Seems that DWP wants real desktops back

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd heard rumours....

I wonder if the planned reduction in CSOs, FLITS and FLSMs will still be going ahead then, interesting times ahead I think....

5. kain preacher

Fines

Fujitsu should be fined. I mean missing 3 start dates is unacceptable, an of course Fujitsu did not have the balls to say we can't do it. I do believe companies should be heavily fine for agreeing to do work that they can not .

1. phil mcracken

they will be fined...

...usually these contracts have automatic penalties incurred for missing deadlines, deliverables, or levels of service. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a termination clause as well, hence the DWP pulling the plug...

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not the first time

The grass isn't always cheaper - see DCA's transition from EDS/HP for further examples....

The government big-wigs who pick these "cheapest deal on the table" proposals should really consider if the price being offered will cost them more in the long term.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Epic Fail

The decision to take it off HP(nee EDS )was nonsensical in the first place. Desktop was " Blue " on the dashboard and DWP decided to risk it to send the message that they wouldn't be tied to HP.

Fujitsu failed to take it on 3 times but the blame must lie with the decision makers who should have realised Fujitsu's undercutting was too good to be true to start with,

8. paddy carroll 1
    FAIL

Failure

Q. What have all large govt contract failures have in common?

A. The government

9. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Well the writing was on the wal

Having worked with all three companies and having had some involvement in this deal all I can say is that it is not unexpected. Who is to blame? Well I cant say given I know a bit about it. What I will say is this....the deal was a good one for DWP and its clients. Fujitsu would have profited too (and yes they employ people in the UK, so our economy would have benefitted).

The inability of the customer and the suppliers - and yes - thats all of them - to work together and ignore pure self interest, is a significant contributor to the deal collapsing. DWP should also consider its federated organisation structure and ponder whether this was a contributor.

Disappointing for the tax payer, disappointing for the teams trying to get it to work. HP well you are lucky...for the moment, so dont go celebrating. Fujitsu, well all I can say is I told you so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well the writing was on the wal

"The inability of the customer and the suppliers - and yes - thats all of them - to work together and ignore pure self interes"

What a load of nonsense as already stated by someone else,

[Fujitsu failed to take it on 3 times but the blame must lie with the decision makers who should have realised Fujitsu's undercutting was too good to be true to start with]

They did not have the staff or skills in place to take over from HP, they were still advertising roles in Warrington up until last week...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

look before you swallow

Large corps have account monitoring, this would have been on high alert and Fujitsu would have chucked every man and his dog to keep the contract alive, unless it just wasnt worth their time, expense etc Maybe Fujitsu jumped out on the basis the contract was not worth the cost, see NHS account for an example.

Be interesting to see how it plays out, could be in reality that HP dont make much margin on the account either and after looking under the stones it was a case of heading for the hills. Could be a smart move by Fujitsu rather than get lumped with a prestige account that bleeds the company dry.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Seen this coming

Fujitsu taking the contract was never going to work out. DWP and all government organisations should take note and learn from their mistakes! The cheapest price usually means the worst service and in this case they got what I presume that they paid for, nothing.

We can only hope that, in the interests of the tax payer, that the key people from HP who were facing the dole queue and jumped ship haven't made it impossible for HP to provide an effective service until they are either awarded an extension or the contract goes back up for tender and a new supplier is identified to take on this critical role.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like