back to article Ex-Sun man hails Java renaissance under Ellison

Java is entering a renaissance following a period of darkness under Sun Microsystems, according to Oracle and computing giant IBM. Mark Reinhold, chief architect of Oracle's Java platform group and one of Sun's former principal engineers, reckons that with Oracle's acquisition of the slowly fading Sun, things are looking …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Java renaissance?

Am I the only one who thinks that programming languages should be reasonably static things? Doesn't it kinda suck having to relearn the language every year 'cause someone decided they needed to stuff lots of new "features" in to it?

Sure, some of the stuff they're "adding" sounds interesting, but couldn't they do it as an addon library instead of rewriting the language?

1. Rafael 1
      Thumb Up

Schmitle

Or at least do things in a way that does not borks your code every time a new version is released. I liked the idea of having deprecation warnings in Java -- you code would still compile but you've been warned. I am not sure any class was ever deprecated, though.

Anyway, partially agree, but for a more lively discussion ask people who had VB6.0 code then had to migrate to .Net.

2. vic 4
      Thumb Down

static

You might want it to be static, me I'd rather something is continuously improved. Also, most additions are in the API(s), not at the language level.

I can't ever remember not having to learn some new library/API/technology nor would I ever not want to.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But no mention of Apache

No mention of Apache. Which, given the fun stuff is coming from them and Spring, means they may be following their own path,

3. blofse

re-learn?

Erm, not relearn - adapt maybe - but not re-learn!

As for pluggable frameworks (spring, seam, hibernate, ehCache etc), they were always independent of the language. It's just the lang is nicking their ideas and bringing into the main JDK.

I find this worrying we have the label 'OpenJDK' execpt the companies involved are anything but open....

Be interesting to see how this pan's out!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like