back to article Sex harassment case hits IBM Australia

A former IBM employee is suing the company for more than A$1m over repeated and ongoing harassment from a superior, according to The Australian. The report, picked up by the ABC's AM programme, says the staff member (who cannot be named) suffered both verbal and physical harassment. This included her supervisor rubbing himself …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neoc

Erm...

Call me stupid, but why is she suing the company rather than the individual (apart from the fact the company has more money)? Did she report it and the company do nothing? The article implies nothing of the sort.

Now, I'm not saying she wasn't harassed (I've met some IBM executives and they are some of the most boys-club people I've ever met) but going after the company *and not the individual* is ridiculous and makes people doubt your reasons for bringing the lawsuit.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

From the linked story

"A FORMER female executive is suing a major Melbourne company for $1.1 million after it allegedly failed to act on her repeated complaints of serious sexual harassment."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

only now?

Pretty much all Australian society is a sexual harassment case waiting to happen. If litigation is your thing, move there, join a big corporate, wait a month for harassment proof, profit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Big Blue - Not electric blue

IBM is one of the most credible organisations I've ever had the pleasure of working for, and while this may sound a little sycophantic I believe that the managment teams hold the values of the organisation in high regard. Yes there is a bit of an old boy culture but this doesn't equate to a environment where that type of behaviour is tollerated. Seems like a case of who has the bigger bank balance.

1. Mark 65

@AC

You've obviously never worked in Australia - the working environment is a little backward compared to Europe and the like.

4. Phage

@Mark65

I worked in Aus for over 20 years, including IBM at West Pennant Hills, EMC and many others. Your comment is not only offensive, but also factually incorrect. If you are going to make those sort of comments please do it in the Daily Mail or similar xenophobic purveyor of steretypes.

IBM has lots of faults, but systemic harrassment is not one of them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like