back to article Symantec and Huawei snatch storage benchmark crown

Huawei Symantec has blown EMC and its nearly all-flash VNX off the SPECsfs2008 benchmark throne with a clustered NAS system without using SSDs. Spinning rust rules, OK? An OceanSpace N8500 with eight clustered processing engines scored 636,036 operations/sec on the SPECsfs2008 NFS benchmark. EMC had the previous record score …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mondo the Magnificent

Who are they?

I once worked for the Pan European Huawei Symantec distributor, so I was always aware that the N8500 was no slouch. In essence it's a Xeon based head running Symantec's Storage Foundation coupled to cheap as chips Huawei 5000 Series controllers and trays..

All I can say is that it's certainly not bad for "Cheap Chinese Tat polished up with a Symantec badge" as one reseller termed it to me..

Perhaps the European market with take this product a little more seriously in the future.

2. Dazed and Confused

Benchmarketting

Only 1728 disk drives?

Seems the marketing zeebs don't care too much about this benchmarketing result.

The TPC-C kiddies use far more.

3. Mr Atoz
    Alert

Let's Keep it Real

What is truly impressive is how these folks can turn $ into IOPS. The true measure of the Spec tests is not the maximum IOPS achieved, but rather IOPS achieved with a realistic configuration.

If you do the math, the N8500 achieved 368 IOPS/spindle which is actually pretty good. I doubt that the VNX could come close with a similar configuration and I know there is no way that Isilon could touch it. Isilon is not known for IOPS but rather for streaming in read intensive work loads.

By comparison, the BlueArc Mercury 100 single node achieved 72,921 IOPS with a mere 144 spindles of 15K drives. That equates to 506 IOPS/spindle. This is actually an affordable system!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

take that EMC

Hopefully it might quieten the noise made by those EMC bloggers....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like